Chapter 4 - Part 1

Scarlett

Scarlett

I held his gaze for a few moments before he took a step closer to me. I felt an electric shiver through me as I felt my body react to him. I'd never felt that type of reaction with anybody else before.

The smell of fresh rain hit me full force. I took another deep breath but there was no mistaking that smell; it reminded me of my dream last night.

Ignoring my body's reaction to his piercing eyes, I returned his stare without revealing the havoc he was causing me. The outside world around us disappeared into the background as we continued to glare at each other.

He might think I was one of those many girls who would be in awe of him and his devastating good looks, but he had another thing coming. It didn't matter that he made butterflies in my stomach come alive. I was stronger than this.

I wouldn't be one of those girls who fell at his feet and allowed him to treat me like a fleeting attraction before he moved on to another willing girl. There was that saying 'never judge a book by its cover' but in this case I'd bet he was exactly what I'd summed him up to be. He was arrogant and in his case the book cover had warning signs telling me to keep well away from him.

"We need to talk," he said as he folded his arms across his chest. Dressed in dark jeans and a black shirt with a leather jacket, he looked badass—but I wasn't scared of him. I could see from the way the material molded to his lean chest that he worked out, possibly as hard as I did.

"I don't even know you, so why would we need to talk?" I asked as I took a step forward, placing me only a few inches away from him.

I was so close that I could see his dark eyelashes framing his turquoise eyes. His dark, raven hair hung across his forehead and I had an urge to run my hands through it.

Mentally, I shook myself. It felt so wrong to find him so attractive when I didn't even like him.

Something dark flashed in his eyes, then his forehead creased as his jaw tightened. Just from his body language, I could tell he was angry. He wasn't used to being questioned. He was the type who spoke and everyone obeyed, but I was no follower.

"Don't play dumb with me," he hissed, his eyes darkening with anger. The unmistakable power rolled off of him in waves and I felt that power hit me in the chest. I took an unsure step backward.

There was something different about him.

He didn't know me and I had no idea what he was talking about. It reminded me of my strange conversation with Blake. I couldn't figure out why both of them kept talking to me about something I was supposed to know but didn't.

If I didn't know better, I'd think I was going to a school for crazies.

Straightening my back, I stepped closer and pushed a finger into his chest. Although he was taller than me and without a doubt physically stronger than me, I refused to back down from him.