Chapter Seven

The room was dark and quiet. Multiple monitors were on, their harsh blue glares blinding anyone who walked in the room. The victim of these harsh lights was Moira O'Deorain, Blackwatch's personal healer.

She made a noise of irritation as she walked in, squinting to look for someone. "Gabriel, are you in here?"

The response she received was, "Close the door behind you."

The door closed with a quiet thud and the light only got brighter. The ginger kept her eyes on the ground as she walked over to her commander. "Reyes, you've been in here all day. You really need to rest."

He growled lowly, "I'll rest when word is heard from Jesse."

She watched as he tapped on a few things and murmured, "This is Commander Reyes of Blackwatch, do you copy?"

He was met with silence. After a moment, he repeated, "Do. You. Copy?"

To Moira's surprise, the line came alive. "I copy boss, jeez." The cowboy yawned loudly into the receiver. "Can't this wait 'til mornin'?"

"Considering you haven't contacted me in a week, no," the Latino answered. "We need to capture him soon. What's your location?"

A pause. Then, "Not entirely sure, Gabe. But we're suppose t' be headin' to Hanamura, Japan soon."

The geneticist saw the excitement flash in Reyes' eyes and couldn't help but smirk. "When?"

"A day or two," he answered sleepily. "I'll contact you when we're there, alright?"

"Do just that, Jesse. You're doing great."

And just like that, the connection was lost. The commander spun around in his chair and shot Moira a grin. "Did you hear that? The rescue mission should be underway in a week!"

She tilted her head at him. "Rescue mission?"

"Well, that's what we're gonna call it," he said with a wink. "Saving the Shimada from whatever dreaded fate the Arakaki has planned for him..." He was laughing throughout his speech, and the redhead was starting to wonder if maniacal behavior was a negative side effect of her experiments.

"Lovely," she purred, and even she wasn't sure what or who she was directing it to. "You've got this all planned out, haven't you?"

He nodded eagerly. "To the last detail."

"So I'm assuming you know what you're going to do with Genji?"

The smile left his face. "Shit, I didn't think about that..." he muttered, spinning back around. He pulled up a few more tabs, one of them being Genji's file. "He's still meeting with that monk, right?"

"The omnic?" She asked. "I believe so."

"Good. Then we should break the news to him lightly, and then he can consult the monk on what to do."

Moira rolled her eyes. "He's not a professional therapist, Gabe. He's a member of the Shambali."

"Whatever, he'll have to do." She watched as the monitors slowly blinked out of view and the room gradually grew darker. She just barely caught sight of Gabriel's face as he was walking out. "I'll sleep now, if it makes you happy."

The geneticist found herself narrowing her eyes. "Very much so..." she murmured, following him out. To herself, she thought, "He better not let this get to his head..."