Part 1: Did Somebody Order a Pizza?

I pulled out my pocket watch and checked the time, noting the shorter hand pointing directly to the six while the larger hand moved just a smidgen to the right of the twelve. I clicked my tongue, placing my fingers on the side of the door and thumping them over the wooden surface. “God dammit, Joey… Could it hurt to be on time for once, just once?” I muttered. I checked my watch again only to find that the larger hand was firmly planted at the five. I let out a groan and said, “How the Hell does that even happen?”

When, at last, the big hand reached the number six, landing atop the smaller hand, there were three heavy knocks at the door. I wrapped my hand around the knob, twisted it, and pulled the door open, sending a gust of wind through my hair and suit. Standing in front of me was Joey, the same sloppy, uneducated mess of matted hair that always arrived more than a touch too late. I forced a fake smile, parting my lips just enough for my upper layer to shine through. “Timely as ever, Joey,” I groaned at him, twisting my tongue to make it sound like a tease.

He replied with his trademark toothy smile and snort-chortle. He didn’t even notice me roll my eyes. “Did you get the pepperoni like I asked?” He nodded and opened the pizza box in his hands, flashing me with red spotted magnificence atop a devilishly creamy white, which just barely, covered the rich red sauce beneath.

I immediately swiped a slice and stuffed it into my mouth, savoring each flavor dancing with the next across my tongue. I muffled my moans, but couldn’t resist the temptation of taking another slice into my hand and looking into it longingly as I finished the one I was currently consuming. As soon as I finished one slice, it was immediately replaced by another and it went on until the entire box was empty.

I check my watch to see that two minutes had passed… I feel as though I should find this amusing. I licked my fingers clean, adjusted my suit and checked the spikes in my hair one last time before pushing Joey out of the way and heading to his delivery car parked in my driveway. “Same place as always, Joey,” I called out to him.

I walked around to the passenger seat, opened the door, and slide in. From the corner of my eye I watched as Joey made his way over after disposing of the pizza box. “Ya know, Alanzo,” he said, as he got into the car. “Maybe this wasn’t the best day to, um, you know…”

“Indulge?”

“Yeah, that’s the word. Shetler got pretty pissed the last time you were late because of that…”

“You don’t need to tell me that, you simpleton. Besides, it was obviously your fault this time.”

“Only because you wanted a pizza…”

“Just shut up and drive, boy.”