An Angel Like You

“It feels so good to finally be home, doesn’t it Cass?” Rian sighed to his fiancée, sinking down next to her on his couch. All Time Low had spent the last two months touring, and the couple had gone straight to Italy once the tour was over, where Rian finally proposed. All in all, he had barely seen the inside of his own house for nearly three hectic yet wonderful months.

 It’s been a great few months though,” she replied, twirling the silver band around her finger – three diamonds on a plain silver band, engraved with the words “our everything better plan”. It was simple yet beautiful, and Rian had known that Cass would love it from the moment he set eyes on it. Rian proposed on a gondola in Venice and she had said yes immediately, quickly letting him put the ring on her finger before that clumsy idiot could accidentally drop it in the water.

Looking over her shoulder into the hallway, she saw the phone’s answer machine flashing. She walked over and pressed play, putting the phone on loudspeaker so they could both hear it.

“Two new messages.” the machine read. “Friday, 1st August:”

“Hey dude, we’re having a little get-together on Wednesday at mine and Jack’s, just me you and Zack. Bring Cass and drinks, you asshole.” They could hear Jack giggling in the background, probably at some stupid TV show. “Text me when you get back okay? Bye!” Alex’s voice said.

Rian smiled, reaching for his phone. Although they had all just toured together, he would never miss an opportunity to hang out with his bandmates.

“Sunday, 3rd August:”

“Hello Cassadee, it’s Mom and Dad here. Could you call us back ASAP? Thanks, we love you.”

Cass looked over questioningly at Rian, who shrugged. “Oh god,” she said, “I hope nothing’s happened… Last time Mom made me call her ASAP was when Dad was in the hospital – I’d better see what they want.”

Rian nodded. “I’ll just go make some coffee.”

Rian walked back into the hallway to see Cassadee on the phone, the cable wrapped round one hand, her face pale as a sheet. He put his arm around her, patiently waiting for her to finish the call.

“Oh god.” She whispered as they sat back down again, burying her face in Rian’s shoulder. “I can’t believe it…”

“Shh Cass, it’s okay” he murmured into her hair as she sobbed. “What happened?”

“J…Jenna… Mom said she-she’s gone.”

Rian gasped – Jenna was an old friend of theirs, from when they were in high school. She was Cass’ best friend, but they had lost touch when All Time Low and Cass’ solo career had kicked off. “How… how did it happen?”

“She hung herself… It was too late when they found her… No note or anything.” Cass’ voice was barely a whisper.

“Oh, oh god. Her poor parents…”

“We can’t tell Jack and Alex, not like this, not over the phone.

“I’ll tell them tomorrow.”

The newly engaged couple held each other on the sagging couch and cried.

 ---

 It was Wednesday morning, and Alex was coming home from the shops, armed with two six-packs of Stella for later that day. 

“Hey Alex?” Jack called as Alex walked in the door. “Can you come here a sec and tell me if I read this wrong…?”

“Sure?” Alex replied, worried. “Is everything okay?”