Chapter 14

LIV

I woke up to the sounds of a soft alarm. Rob's arm was still draped over my waist protectively as he slept, not even noticing the wake-up call. I reached out to silence the alarm, then stretched as much as I could without waking him up. I settled back into the bed, nestling up against Rob when I heard a phone ringing. It was a basic ringtone, so I knew it couldn't be mine--it had to be his.

With a groan, I sat up again and reached for the cell. I rubbed my eyes, still cloudy from the sleep I'd just woken up from. So, I didn't see the name correctly before I answered it. "Hello?"

"Hey, is Robby there?"

"Robby...?"

"Yeah...Robert...My boyfriend."

I felt like someone had just punched me in the gut.

It was the worst feeling, not knowing whether he was lying or she was. I believed him when he told me they were over, but my faith in him was wavering after I heard that phone call the day before. The thought of who that woman was still bothered me and the feeling was made worse by Iz.

"Y-your b-boyfriend??"

"Y-yes, b-bitch. Who are you, anyway?" Iz asked.

Just then, I heard Rob move behind me. "Good morning," he whispered groggily. Rob moved to wrap his arms around me and kissed my neck and shoulders. "Who are you talking to," he asked, which was when I turned to glare at him. His smile faded when he saw the look on my face.

"Well, apparently," I looked at Rob as I spoke to the woman on the phone, "he has two girlfriends, Iz. Nice talking to you." I hung up, then pushed his arms off of me as I got out of the bed. He protested and called my name over and over again. The sound of his voice fell on deaf ears. The last thing I wanted to do was listen to him talk, let alone look at his face. I yanked the closet door open, grabbed my clothes, then went into the ensuite bathroom. The door slammed shut behind me, and I made sure to lock my stupid boyfriend out. I stopped to take a breath once I had my clothes on, then tried my best to calmly clean myself up.

My heart pounded as I brushed my teeth, and negative thoughts ran rampant in my mind. I couldn't help but think of the worst-case scenario, and it scared the shit out of me. If Rob was lying, if he really was in a relationship with Iz, I couldn't imagine ever being able to forgive him. Then, I'd be doing this alone; the pregnancy, parenting, life. I'd have my family, sometimes, but I'd mostly be alone. I didn't want that. Not just because it was lonely, but because I'd gotten used to having Rob around. I was falling for him in more ways than one, and the thought of doing all of this without him was not one I enjoyed entertaining.

Rob knocked on the door as I gargled mouthwash, the sound interrupting my thoughts. "Liv, we need to talk about this. Please."

I cleaned my face and took my time doing so. Eventually, I'd open up the door. But, waiting for me to do so would be fine for Rob. I looked at myself in the mirror, and my eyes went to my bulging abdomen. At this point, there was no denying I was pregnant. Half the time, I wore oversized t-shirts, which kind of hid my belly. That wasn't necessarily the intention, but they did keep prying eyes away. Plus, they were comfy. One of my favourite shirts to wear was one of Rob's that he got from university, and the thought had me rolling my eyes. Depending on what he'd say when I opened the door, I might've had to get rid of that thing.

After about ten minutes and his repeated knocking on the bathroom door, I finally opened it up. There he stood, with messy hair and his bare abdomen on display. He looked horrible. Not because he'd just woken up, but the expression on his face was that of stress and deep concern. He was clearly freaking out about the phone call, especially since he'd only heard my side of it. His eyes pleaded for me to let him in, and I stepped aside so that he could walk through the doorway. He reached for me immediately but stopped when I moved to avoid him. My resolve nearly crumbled when I took in the pained look on his face, so I decided to avoid eye contact.