Prologue

I was a lucky little girl, I thought. I seemed to have a mother and father who truly loved me. They also really seemed to love each other. They went out once a week, they often showed affection towards each other and seemed really happy together. 

     I was in 3rd grade. I remember getting off my school bus and running toward the house. I don't remember why, I'm sure it was probably a weekend or something. I was always happy to go home and see my parents. On this particular day though, as I ran to my porch I didn't see either of my parents cars in the drive. In fact, they were both missing, which was really unusual. I also saw my aunt's car. I cautiously walked up to the door and opened it. In the small living room was my aunt. She was sitting in the chair by the window, I could tell she looked angry. I wasn't sure what to do, so I said "Hi aunt Crystal." She turned, a little startled and responded softly, "Hey, Marissa. How was your day?" "It was good," I began, ready to divulge every detail when there was a knock at the door. Crystal got up, lightly pushing me to the side, and opened the door. She never was one for kids. "Hello, Crystal?"
 a lady asked from outside. I was a short, petite little girl, so I peeked from around my aunt's waist. She was a stuffy looking lady, with a dress suit on and glasses, she also didn't look very nice or fun. "Yes, Ms. Harper." Crystal responded, "Thank you so much for coming, I really had no idea what i was going to do with this one." she said, patting the top of my head. I hated when she did that. Ms. Harper looked down at me and offered a smile. I didn't want anything she was offering me. No way. 

     "Hey, Marissa. I'm Luanne." she offered, noticing my look. I turned away from her. Who was this woman and why did she seem so interested in me? Where were my parents? Ms. Harper came inside and Crystal took my to my room. She sat on my bed, looking sad. "Marissa," my aunt began. This was the horrible part. "You're parents, they were killed today." she finished, trailing off, obviously crying. Basically, my mom was home alone and an invader came in trying to rob us. She foolishly fought. and about the time he shot her my dad came home early, to surprise her. He also tried to fight him and was also shot. I was never given too many other details other than that. Ms. Harper, was from Child Services, and was here to take me into foster care. My aunt couldn't possibly be bothered to care for a child of my young age, she hated kids. 

     The rest is history. I was in and out of different homes until I found a good one at age 13. I stayed there until I was 20, even though I aged out of the system and they quit getting paid for me. They were also Melissa's parents and this is how we met. We were inseparable, which was another reason they let me stay.  She really looks out for me and is my only real family. If anything were to ever happen to her I have no idea how I would live.