Chapter 1

Sera woke suddenly, sitting rigidly for a moment, before realizing there was no one else in her room. Sylvestre, disturbed from his position on her arm, swam away, blowing a jet of water back at Sera.

She still sat in the chair at the corner of her room, a conch on her lap, and a basket on the floor full of conches.

Sera had stayed up late last night, studying for her undergraduate degree in ancient Atlantean History. It was hard being Regina, but also trying to get her degree, but Sera wanted her degree more than most anything. She must have fallen asleep in her chair. That dream... it had almost been as if-

There was a knock at the door, and Sera stood quickly. Des swam in, looking exasperated.

"What is it now?" Sera asked, ringing for the maid to bring her breakfast.

She sat at her desk, ruffling the stack of papers that sat there, and reached for a message conch.

"That new hippokamp in the stables got loose again," Des grunted. He and Sera's new hippokamp seemed to hate each other.

Sera chuckled, straightening the papers, "Just have some of the guards find him, like last time."

Des groaned, "I have better things to do than look for that stupid hippokamp, for Neria's sake."

"You don't have to, Des," Sera said, holding up message conch, hoping that he would take the hint and leave her to her duties.

But, at that moment, Astrid swam in. Des gathered her into an embrace, and they kissed briefly. Sera sat down the conch. Clearly, she wasn't going to get anything done right now. Astrid, regal in her black armor, with her sword always present at her hip, smiled at Sera, absolute joy on her face.

After Des and Astrid married, Astrid became Des' lieutenant. They agreed that Miromara would be much safer, if both of them helped to protect its waters.

Sera had so much to do. With Mahdi and the royal family coming in a few days for the wedding, she had so much to do. And her wedding. She was about to get married, for Merrow's sake. Mer from everywhere were coming to witness the wedding of Regina Serafina and Emperor Mahdi. Her friends would be here soon, and she had yet to find them rooms. There was the catering, and seating, and her dress.

"I really need to get to work," Sera started, "I just-"

Astrid smiled considerately, "We know, you're getting married in a few days, Sera. You need to work."

Sera sighed, relieved, as Des and Astrid left. There had been nothing wrong for a long time. No Lucia, or border skirmishes, and Ondalina had peaceful since Abbadon was defeated. But the dream. The Iele had been singing. Sera thought that they were dead, killed by the death riders, Vallerio's soldiers. They had been warning her about something. A she who had sat on Miromara's throne.

But Sera's mother was dead, so was her grandmother. Unless... no. Lucia was locked up, captured and awaiting execution in the dungeons. She had been brought in weeks ago, but for some reason, she hadn't gone down with a fight.

The door opened again, and a maid swam in, carrying a breakfast tray. Sera's stomach gurgled as she saw the food, and she settled back again, as the maid cleaned her rooms quickly and left.

But Sera couldn't stop thinking about the warning and the dream she had. All while she ate her pickled sponge, and eel berries, Sera wondered.