Chapter 15 - Noah

As I walk away from Pennamore, I wonder what just happened. I mean, it went from us having a pleasant conversation to an awkward situation. Did I do something wrong? Was Pennamore okay? I do not know. Actually, I am still trying to understand her. Every time I feel as if I know her, she does something that makes me question if I really do.

  I do not know where I am going, but it does not bother me that much. It is nighttime which is fine by me. It is easier for me to do things at night anyways. On my way to wherever it is I am heading, I keep thinking of Pennamore. Why? I do not exactly have an answer. I wish I did, but I do not. I wonder if I ever will...

  When I look at my surroundings, I realize I am a little lost. It is understandable, being as how I am from Change and not Welsh. I look in front of me and notice I can make out the castle here. I can see it just fine, but if anyone there sees me, they will not think anything of it since I am a little ways away. I see an iron gate surrounds the castle, which is heavily guarded; that is most likely because it is night. I realize I will have to find a way in the castle for tomorrow in order to help Pennamore. It will be easier since I can morph, but I can not stay morphed. There is no way I can, because then I will be useless in every other way that may come up. I hope nothing goes wrong tomorrow for all of our sakes.

  I turn around and decide to find my way back to a place I know. No one is near me, so I morph and fly into the air. I fly back in the direction I came from hoping I did not venture off anywhere while I was walking. Finally, I begin to know the area. I see the place where I just was with Pennamore nearby. She is no longer around, but I realize she probably slipped into the secret base she has near. When I continue flying away I catch a glimpse of her before I am gone. For a second she reminds me of her sister, but they are twins. I bet they get compared together all the time. The only way to really tell the difference between them is by which can morph at the current time.

  Suddenly, I find myself outside of the kingdom of Welsh. I land on the ground and unmorph. I carefully walk away towards a nearby tree that I can use as shelter during the night. I am not very tired, but it will be better if I try to belong with the foreigners here. I guess Pennamore is not a foreigner, but she lives as they do, unlike me. I close my eyes hoping sunrise will come soon. Tomorrow night will be very dangerous, I just hope Pennamore knows what she is doing. If something goes wrong, it could very well be the end for all of us.

  In the morning, I get up and make my way back into the village. I have done this so many times in just these few days that I feel as if no one will see me. As I approach the entrance, I realize the same still holds true. Nobody is near me as far as I can tell. I see a few animals around, but I do not expect any of them to suddenly become human. Although it is possible, what with Pennamore and the girl Olivia here. I make my way into the town. On the way I run into Pennamore who does not notice me behind her. She suddenly turns around and looks at me.

  I say, "Woah. Why did you do that so suddenly?"

  She smiles. "I do not like being followed if you have not gotten a grasp on that. Besides I never do things intentionally."

  "Really? Why should I believe that?"

  "You should not. I just had to see if you were gullible enough to trust me about everything. I see that is not true."

  I say, "Well, you obviously do not trust me about anything."

  Pennamore looks at me in the eyes. "Why do you think that?"

  "It just seems that way to me. I mean one minute you are sweet and the next minute you act like you want to tear me and everything to shreds."

  "I only do that when I think danger is near. Better to be on guard than to be helpless. What is the point of being strong if you never use your strength?"

  "Do you think I am dangerous, because that is what you just implied?"

  Pennamore looks away for a moment. Then she says, "No. I just can't let myself get close to anyone."

  "Why is that, Pennamore?" I ask curiously.

  She says, "For the same reason I'm here."

  I do not completely understand what she means for a moment. Then it hits me. Pennamore is very close to her sister and is willing to do anything for her. I guess it is hard for Pennamore to do this. I wonder why that might be. Suddenly I notice Pennamore wipe at her eyes. Is she crying?

  "Are you okay?"

  Pennamore, defensive much, answers, "Of course I'm okay!"

  "Alright. You do not have to be so mean about it."

  "I'm sorry. I do not expect you to understand."

  "Understand what?" I question cautiously.

  "Don't you get it, Noah? I am not sure I can help my sister. I have tried before many times. Each time something gets in the way, usually Olivia, but not always. If this had worked the first time, I would only have been gone for a week." Pennamore tells me.

  I do not really know what to tell her. However it seems that does not matter as Olivia quickly runs up with some boy. Pennamore looks at them and seems to be trying to decide what to do.

  "Olivia, who is..." Pennamore begins.

  Olivia cuts her off saying, "There is no time for questions. You just have to trust me. If you want any chance at saving your sister, you need to come now. We need to hurry before they figure out what she refuses to say."

  "I will do no such thing. Not until you explain this boy. I decided to trust you, not whoever he is."

  I look at the boy. He has dark brown hair and brown eyes. He looks a little like Olivia, but not totally. I wonder who he is as well. He could be very dangerous to us and our plan.

  Olivia replies, "This is my brother, Brian. He wants to help your sister and only he can help you right now to get into the castle and to your sister."

  The boy, Brian, states, "I promise I mean no harm. I am guessing you are Pennamore right, Persephone's sister."

  Pennamore says, "Yes. I want to save my sister, but if this is a trick I will have problems with both of you."

  Brian and Olivia nod. Then they turn and run off towards the castle with Pennamore following them. I decide to follow as well. On the way I realize it is a little past midday which means night will be approaching. That will be okay for me and even Persephone, but I'm not so sure about Pennamore. When we get to the castle we turn suddenly and go back behind a bush. They must have to sneak in and come up with some sort of plan.

  Pennamore says, "I hope you have some sort of idea about what you are doing."

  Olivia responds, "We were hoping you would be able to come up with a plan."

  Pennamore scoffs. "I do not even have any idea where my sister is much less what her situation is. I need to know more before I can do anything."

  "Well, I guess we can take you near her, but remember we must stay out of sight and keep quiet." Brian responds.

  I say, "I would not be worried about Pennamore. It is you two that I feel could mess this all up."

  "Why are we..." Olivia begins before Pennamore cuts her off.

  "Noah is right. I do this sort of thing all of the time. I know how to stay in the shadows or hide in plain sight. How many times have you ever done something like that?"

  Brian replies, "She is right. Besides it is her sister. Just follow us inside."

  "I'll come in a moment." Pennamore says as Olivia and Brian go even further into the bushes.