Types of Corsets: Guide to Choose a Corset

The corset is a garment that has evolved a lot since its inception. Although the first references came from ancient civilizations, it was not until the sixteenth century when it became popular at the court of the Medici because of Catherine de Medici, wife of King Henry II of France.

In its beginnings it was a pledge reserved for the aristocracy and its objective was to have a comical figure with a narrow waist. It started as a metal frame. Later, wood, ivory or whale bones were sewn onto the fabric and fastened with loops and laces on the back. They could have braces or sleeves.

Nowadays it could be said that we are witnessing a small corset revolution. We have it as a garment for special occasions, be it a wedding or a party. Lingerie is also present in its sexiest collections and has been installed for years in sadomasochism and fetish circles. It is also a fundamental garment in gothic fashion, pin-up, and steampunk.

We can classify the corsets based on the following characteristics:

According to the Area that Covers:

● Overbust Corset or Corset Over Bust.

This type of corset is the most common. They cover the chest in its entirety forming a nice neckline, either with a heart shape or with a straight shape depending on the cut and finish it has.

● Corset Underbust or Corset Low Bust

In this case, the corset starts just below the bust. This type can be combined with Victorian blouses, shirts, and fitted tops. If you are more daring you can wear it with a nice bra. The lace combines very well.

According to the Material of the Rods:

● Reducer Corset with Steel Rods

The corsets with steel rods serve to reduce the waist. The rods can be flat or ringed.

This technique requires some training, we must start with a corset with a waist a few inches smaller than yours and gradually reduce the size.

If you buy a corset for a special occasion like a wedding and you have never worn one with steel rods, I advise you to practice these Bridal Corsets Australia a few days before. You can take it home to get used to rigidity and weight and learn to deal with it. It seems difficult but on the contrary, you will see how easy it is to take it. They are a very flattering and grateful garment.

● Corset with Plastic Rods

They are indicated if you want to start in the world of corsets or if you do not want to get a large waist reduction. They are much more comfortable and are usually cheaper in Cheap Corsets Australia.

● Corsets Top

This type, is not exactly a corset, because it does not have rods and in some occasions, they do not have crossed tie to buckle.

Visually they are similar to a corset and are designed to stylize and shape the waist and has fabric like Satin Robes Australia.