Chapter 14

"What are we doing today?" Kias asked around a mouthful of bread as they sat eating. It was quiet in the tavern. Kias had slept late and then they'd lingered in the bath, so most of the morning crowd had already moved through.

"Shopping." Sam took a swallow of water from his wooden cup. "I tend to go for finely crafted art. Vases, sculptures, paintings, books. Anything that someone with a lot of skill put a lot of time into."

Kias was quiet, and Sam could tell by the fact that he'd actually stopped eating halfway through a meal that it was a meaningful silence. Sam's eyebrows quirked up questioningly. "What?"

Kias' lips, pressed tightly together, twisted uncertainly before he decided to speak. "Can we get some oil?"

It took Sam a moment to figure out why Kias wanted oil and why he looked so nervous about it.

"Oh," Sam said when he finally put the pieces together. "Well, sure, if you want. I don't really know what kind to get, or... I mean, I've never, on any world but my own, so I don't... We use different stuff on my world."

Kias' lips stretched into a small smile, obviously reassured by the fact that Sam was just as awkward about this as he was. "Well, I'm sure Seba would know."

The expression Sam's face contorted into must have been quite comical, because Kias laughed.

"I'm not asking a fourteen year old boy what the best kind of oil to use for... for that kind of thing is," Sam said.

Kias shook his head sadly. "This is exactly what you do to me, you know." Kias took another bite of bread, chewed, swallowed. "You decide how things should be and you try and force them into being that way by acting as though that's how they are. It doesn't work like that, Sam."

"I suppose it's mildly less awkward than asking a vendor and preferable to getting something unsuitable."

"Remember, Sam," Kias said. "Treating someone how you want them to be treated rather than how they'd like to be treated is still selfish, even if you think your way is nicer. It's also kind of insulting. I've been through a lot and I'm guessing Seba has, too. You tiptoe around us, and it dismisses the strength we've gained by surviving through that."

Sam stared at Kias for several seconds, frowning. "How are you so damn wise?"

Kias shrugged carelessly. "You’ve had so many opportunities and experiences available to you. I've only had a few. The few things I do know, though, I know very well. I'm glad you've never had to learn what it's like from my position first hand."

"Yeah.” Sam raked a hand through his slightly damp hair. "Thanks for telling me this stuff. I do appreciate it. I have to admit, you've been much more helpful than I expected."

Kias glanced up as Seba approached and wiped his mouth on the cotton cloth provided. "I don't think I'd have to do much to be more helpful than you expected," Kias said before Seba reached them and interrupted their conversation. Sam's stomach sunk. Yeah, that was a pretty accurate assessment.