Murder AU

I didn't like it. Killing people, that is. I just never enjoyed it as much as he did. He was a natural, he was heartless in the best way possible. He, by the way, is my best friend. "You ready, D20?" He yelled through the fierce wind. Swallowing my emotions i nodded and watched as Deluxe ran out into the street. He dropped to the floor clutching his knee. Before long a middle aged man with a receding hairline attempted to help Deluxe. I watched carefully with my hand clutched to my pistol. I was a back up plan. After a moment, Deluxe shot to his feet, slicing the man's throat. His lifeless body fell to the floor, splattering Deluxe in thick, red blood. I watched as he removed the man's sneakers and stole his wallet. Deluxe signalled me to start running. My strides were big and i was tall, so running was my strong point but Deluxe was slower and more built. I leaped over dumpsters and fences with my partner closely behind me. When we heard blaring sirens we sped up.

Eventually we reached a small dead-end alleyway that had a box/blanket/scrap shelter. That was home. We dove into the structure sat in silence for a moment. When the sirens silenced Deluxe pushed the shoes into my lap. "Here, your old ones are too small." He noted as he inspected the leather wallet. His face was solemn. "But, your shoes are more broken?" I questioned but he grinned and ignored me. "The dude had 30 bucks and some food stamps. But the leather's nice." He slipped the money into his backpack and stuffed it behind him. I replaced my shoes.

The night air cooled as we covered in our blanket collection. "Deluxe?...W-When do you think we can go back to our old life?" I whispered into the darkness. I felt our feet touch as he thought about it for a minute."I don't know. When we have enough money to buy a nice house. And you're safe. Soon." He replied with a crack in his voice. "Soon." Silence followed until i drifted into sleep.

The crisp light left an orange tinge in our shelter. I leaned into Deluxe's ear whispering, "Wake up, Ass hat." Before i climbed out stretching my arms and legs. "What'd you call me feller?!" A sleepy voice shouted. We both giggled as i investigated our food supplies we had stored in an Esky. We were running low, only some protein powder and a muesli bar. "Well, breakfast is protein powder, we need to go shopping." I commented as Deluxe replaced his shirt with the one that was splattered with blood. Deluxe was muscular but not tall and his torso was hairless, apart from the light hair that made his happy trail. He had a long jagged scar across his waist and a new wound on his elbow. "You got ten bucks for food," He said bitterly as he jogged away from camp to urinate. "Okay," I whispered to the abyss.

I was happy despite being poor and a murderer. i was happy just to have Deluxe. I stirred patiently waiting for the beige powder to dissolve into the water. "Deluxe! Breakfast!" I beckoned. Silence. " Deluxe?" Still no response. I shuffled out of the alleyway. Carefully, i loaded my pistol and shuffled down the main alleyway. The eerie silence sent shivers down my spine, i hesitantly let out another cry, "Deluxe! Stop messing around!" As i passed another small alleyway, a load grunt alarmed me. Contrasting the grey concrete, was a puddle of thick blood. The puddle pooled out from its source, Deluxe. I flew to Deluxe side, skinning my knees in the process.

Deluxe's skin was cold, his eyes were blank. A large stab wound in his gut leaked blood. "Hold on, Deluxe! I'll get help!" I weeped. My emotions were overthrown with sadness. I ripped open Deluxe's shirt, exposing the wound. Quickly, i took off my shirt and applied pressure. "It's okay, feller. I'm a goner." Deluxe mumbled. "NO! I WON'T LET IT-" I choked up, tears streamed down my puffy cheeks. Deluxe shook his head, "D20, it was my job to protect you, i swore it. But i'm sorry." Deluxe muttered clutching on to my cheek. He pulled my face close to his and planted a gentle kiss on my tear stained cheek. "I'm sorry," He whispered. The colour drained from his face and the life leaked from his eyes. He was a hollow corpse. He was gone.