Part 1- The Moon

The sky lights up again. It is so much better than the sun. The sun has been gone for such a long time, no one remembers it; but everyone knows what it was. Or at least what their ancestors thought it was- a giant fire ball that could simply float in the sky, and that naturally was the source of life.

They are so lucky with how far humanity has come.

No one uses the sun anymore, only the moon. The Sky Makers have, like they promise to do every year, injected the moon with a dose of light. Now that the sky is once again bright, Greyson squints his eyes as he patiently waits for his sight to adjust.

The once purple-red night sky is now a bright yellow, and the white moon covers over half the sky. More and more things appear in Greyson's vision as his pupils dilate. He can see the tall, skinny needle-like buildings on the horizon, and closer towards where he stands he can see where the world lives. They resemble ants as they crawl out from their underground homes. Latch after latch opens, and more and more people come to witness the Moon Lighting.

"Did I miss it?" says a voice from behind.

Greyson jumps, feeling slightly startled. "Bea, don't do that!" he says, now laughing.

"Hello to you too," Bea says slyly. "How long you been up here?"

"Long enough to actually see the big event," he teases. "Where were you?"

"Some people like to sleep." She comes up beside him to take his hand, and they stare at the moon for a while. They sit at their favorite spot to see the Lighting. It is a hill that's maintained by the Human Historical Museum, and has a small spot of grass at the very top. No one is allowed to touch it, in an effort to stop the spread of disease, but they were still allowed to sit next to it. Not very many people come to this spot; no one cares about the past. This meant that the hill is an ideal place to avoid the crowds.

Already, their eyes are almost finished adjusting. Soon the moon will look just like any other moon.

"Greyson."

He looks at her. Her pupils are adjusted, he can tell, because they are nothing more than 2 small flecks of black on her beautiful green irises. "Bea." He says.

"I'm worried about you, when's the last time you slept?"

"I don't know," he says honestly.

"Well I know they have those new energy pills now, and everyone's in to them and stuff, but maybe you should try sleeping anyway. It's healthier."

Greyson laughs. "You're so cute, you and your attempt at healthy habits... you know, just because something isn't natural doesn't mean it's not healthy."

"Just watch, you're going to die at 70, and you'll be thinking, 'If only I listened to Bea and ate those earth peaches!'"

"You'll never convince me something that grows in dirt is healthy," Greyson mutters.

"Can I convince you that sleep is healthy?" She says pleadingly. Her worry is just contagious enough to make Greyson agree.

"Alright, tonight I'll sleep."

Bea lays her head on his shoulder. "Thank you," She whispers. They watch the moon from the hill with the last piece of grass on Earth.