The Boy In The Iceberg: Pt. 2

*edited 2/2/2023*

Hestia shivered as a weird sensation tingled through her body. What was that? Her eyes fluttered open, and she realized was lying horizontally. Blankets draped halfway on her body. No wonder she'd been cold. She gathered the rest of her covers, ready to cuddle into them when she realized she was in her own room. When did she fall asleep? Her palms squished her eyes for a moment while she contemplated the events. She hadn't remembered even snoozing, dazing, or daydreaming.

Zuko must've brought her back here. How generous of him.

She sat up, stifling a yawn. Soldiers rushed through the hall outside her door. They hurriedly moved throughout the ship. Her brows furrowed in confusion.

What on earth are they doing? She groaned in protest, as did her body. It was as if something unexpected happened. Were they being raided by pirates, or stopped by Water Tribe troops? Hesitantly, she forced herself out of her bed to investigate the commotion above deck.

"Iroh?" The tanned teen entered the wheelhouse. "What's going on?"

Zuko had appeared, notably out of thin air, entering the wheelhouse after she had with an expression stone and of determination. "I have a lead on the Avatar. He's somewhere at the South Pole. Presumingly close by, due to that large light that just shot into the sky."

A lead on the Avatar? She was surprised. Had they really found evidence of the Avatar residing within the frozen tundra around? She held her tongue; doubt blossomed in her chest, no way could they even begin to try and go after the Avatar. Despite in old age, presumingly, he would still be a force to be reckoned with. No one would dare challenge a powerful being such as the Avatar. She rolled her eyes at no one particular.

Zuko. That's who would challenge a powerful bender despite their age. She could hit her head on a wall for his straightforwardness and near unreasonable logic. He thought of no strategic plans, or even backup plans. He just went in, aimlessly and blind. Impulsively. And in her eyes, idiotically.

"It could've been the celestial lights," she offered quietly. "It happens frequently in the Poles."

"It wasn't celestial lights. This shot up into the sky." He wasn't shy about shooting back with attitude.

"Don't take that tone with me." Her eyes narrowed at him and he fell quiet. "I'm confused, and I'm only trying to grasp the situation. I don't appreciate the attitude either."

He gritted his teeth, and balled his fists, yet said nothing to defend himself. She stepped back some, deciding he could use that to further in a lesson of kindness. She didn't want to kick his past kindness like a poor tiger pup, but he burrowed it within himself when the Fire Lord, his father, banished him for being "weak", and whatever the heck he thought his own son was.

Hestia turned away from her friend, focusing on the window. She watched the glaciers around slowly slid past the Fire Nation ship. Iroh slipped behind her, laying a hand on her shoulder, giving a consoling squeeze.

"You are trying too hard, child." He was gentle, yet understanding.

She sighed heavily. "Who in their right mind would go after the Avatar?" She glanced back at Zuko, who had moved to the Helmsman, instructing him to go a certain direction, and with the two men behind him, he discussed the plan of approach and what tactics they would use, need be if they did find the Avatar and fight him. She may little of history, but the Avatar — the Avatar was a story she wouldn't forget. A person who controlled all four elements and connect with the spirit world. Even someone with the mind of a rock wouldn't have the audacity to face him, or her. Stories told the last Avatar happened to be an Airbender, but they were killed off a hundred years ago. Her lips thinned.