One Direction

One Direction

Celebrity 

One Direction is a boy band which was formed in 2010 talent show ‘X Factor’ due to the fact that the judges didn’t think the boys were strong enough to progress through the competition as individuals but thought they would be strong as a group. They were then then put together to form the band.  The group is made up of five boys; Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Niall Horan, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson. They finished third in the X Factor in 2010 and shortly after they were signed by Simon Cowell to a £2 million pound Syco Records contract. Since they have been together have been together as a band when they signed to Syco they have been nominated for 219 awards and have won 155 awards including three Billboard Music Awards, four BRIT awards and nine Teen Choice Awards. The band seems to be earnest in helping charities. For example, in 2011, the band performed on the Children in Need 2011 broadcast, helping raise over 26 million pounds. They have been the headline act on four tours and have released four books with a fifth autographical book due to be released in September this year. They have three studio album, thirteen singles (including two charity singles) and thirteen music videos. In this year’s Heat’s Hottest 101 Hunks, Louis came 79th, Zayn came 61st and Styles came 14th. 

Recently they have been making headlines for not particularly for the right reasons. In April whilst in Peru, Zayn Malik and Louis Tomlinson were caught on camera smoking roll-up drugs whilst on the way to a concert.  Tomlinson is heard saying ‘So here we are, leaving Peru. Joint lit. Happy days!’  This came as a surprise to a lot of One Direction who haven’t seen this side of the band before. 

On the one hand, I do think what they did was stupid. It’s one thing to take drugs but it’s another thing to actually video taking the drugs and post it online for everyone to see. Now that millions of their fans have seen it, it may have changed their perception of the band. For some, they feel they don’t have their ‘innocent image’ they had when they first entered the competition in 2010. They are role models to many young people in society who have passion in entering the music industry. Is this really the message they want to be sending out to these people? As well as this, this video most likely shocked and annoyed Simon Cowell, the man who signed them to their record deal. 

On the other hand, the drugs the boys took were a completely legal action in the country they were in. Technically, they haven’t broken any rules in the country. As well as this, many people say that this will now ‘darken their career’. What’s that all about? It was a silly mistake they made yes but it’s not going to ruin their career! Saying it’s going to darken their career is a bit over the top. As well as this, they are young: what do you expect? True, we try not to raise children to like the idea of taking drugs but at some point of lot of young people experiment with drugs. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a One Direction fan but I do think that the public are being rather hard on the boys of the whole incident. The band have apologised for their actions which is something I respect instead of not taking into account what they did. 

Do I love it, like it, dislike it, hate or undecided... 

Undecided. They are young, they are going to experiment with things like this but perhaps it may not be the best thing for their image. Oh and next time, if there is a next time, don’t video record and put it online for the world to see! 

So, how did you like my topic One Direction? What do you think; hot or not? Vote!