Chapter Three: Hunting of the Gnomes

The trees and plants loomed over my head as I hid, waiting for something to pass. It was the time of year when the young gnomes went hunting to prove themselves worthy of staying with the pack. Lots of gnomes have died or been exiled because of this.

I stood silently, rope  and knife in hand. Soon I heard the trotting of a horse. Actually three. Soon they came into sight. Three wild horses were running through the woods.

I through my rope and luckily it caught on one of their ears. I saw other ropes catch on other horses. All the young gnomes. I quickly climbed the rope and stood on the horses head.

I raised my knife, but before I could kill it, I heard a roar.

Overhead a dragon flew spewing fire down on the ground.

I quickly grabbed my rope and jumped of the horse, just as it was consumed in fire. Many of the other gnomes weren't as lucky as me. Then I realized something, my brother was on the same horse as me.

"Jeder, Jeder!" I yelled. He couldn't have died, he would've jumped.

"Jeder, Jeder, Jeder!" I wandered through the clearing where the horse was. I couldn't find him.

Then I heard a little voice call," Chirod, I'm here."

I ran over to the voice and found a burnt little figure laying under a fern.

"I wasn't quick enough," he said. "The dragon got me."

He looked at me with a sad expression on his face," I'm sorry."

He exhaled softly and slowly turned to dust, back to earth, back to where he came from. I held what remained of him. My little brother, dead, turned to dust, by a stupid dragon.

"Bow to me," a deep, loud voice boomed. "Bow to me or you will perish. I can see your puny village. Bow to me and make me you ruler."

A red dragon was floating in the air looking to where our kingdom was hidden.

"Fine, let everyone know that mighty Axilmeus has destroyed you and your village."

He looked down and blew fire on our kingdom, probably killing every gnome. I felt a heavy pressure on my heart. I was the last gnome, and I had to avenge my kind. But I couldn't do it alone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, since no one commented I'll just continue the book. Enjoy and still tell me if it's horrible.