Chapter 13: Katniss' POV

RECAP

•~•~•~•~• •~•~•~•~•

"Okay. So there are birds and no other tributes near -- other that the ones coming through the woods toward us right now -- But what hurt my leg? Something had to have hit it!" I thought to myself. My eyes quickly darted down toward my leg, and I noticed where the two needle-like objects had been. There were to thin marks that looked like I had gotten a knife and cut myself, only instead of it being on my wrist like I'd seen others do, it was on my leg. I slowly looked back up at the birds. They were now completely surrounding me. This was the first real look I got of them.

Of course they were cotton candy pink on the front of their body's. On their backs there were layers of feathers that were different shades of pink. They had legs like a flamingos. I've never actually seen a flamingo, but my father -- before he died -- used to read me stories when I was six or seven about animals that had gone extinct back seventy four years ago, before the up-rising. Their beaks were long and sharp..

"Of course! They're using their beaks as weapons!" I whispered.

Boom. Went a cannon, followed by another scream and then another boom.

That set the birds off on a rampage. They took turns scratching, biting, poking, and digging at my arms and legs. I must have been loosing blood because my vision started going blurry.

Boom.

•~•~•~•~• •~•~•~•~•

END OF RECAP

"You're holding up well," President Snow told me and I nodded.

"I have people protecting me," I casually responded.

"Hmm? Oh yes, Mrs. Everdeen you do have people protecting you, that's exactly why your lying down on the ground right now on your way to bleeding out." He snapped.

He's right, I kept yelling but no one had come to rescue me from the birds! Were they just not planning on protecting me when it really came down to it?

"Why so quiet? Did you finally discover the truth?" He snarled. The word truth rang in my head. He sighed.

"Mrs. Everdeen, I think you need to come with me." He demanded, while grabbing my arm and pulling it in his direction, making me stumble forward. He showed me down a hallway and I counted three doors until we entered a room. The door was Black, and had a glow-in-the-dark-looking version of the Panem seal on it. He opened it and inside was a perfectly white room. There were around twenty different people sitting at a pearl white round table with a hole in the middle. There were four smaller desks that surrounded the larger one and at each of those there were probably ten people sitting in white and silver chairs.

The Game Makers!

"Pull up Mrs. Everdeen's--" He paused, "Team mates."

I expected Cato and the others to be pulled up on a T.V. or something but it was a huge hologram in the gap of the large round table. Cato Clove and Peeta were all surrounding something but the image was blurry.

"Go wide, so you can see what they're surrounding." He ordered.

As they did what he told them to do, I noticed my black hair tied in a fishtail braid, along with my pale-ish tan skin and skinny body. I was already skinny when we entered the games, but now it was worse. Then a question popped into my head;

"How am I here and there?" I questioned.

"The Capitol discovered a new tonic that we can inject with your tracker, and if we need to tell you something, we can activate it. Of course it won't keep you from dying, but it slows down your blood loss, so really, you should be thanking me." He told me, some how he was completely serious when the words came out. I didn't feel like responding so instead I looked back at the hologram.