Chapter Six~ New School

"...Dominique Edwards." I finished writing my name on the blackboard. "You can call me Dee, if you want to."

When I turned around to face the class, I met the gaze of those who are (from this point on) my classmates. They all seem friendly and happy to see a new student from abroad. Strangely, I can't help noticing they are all girls. Every single one of them. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen a male student since I got here. It sounds weird, but I don't think I want to ask any questions that could lead to a pimp development right now...

In the midst of the curious looks I see Leah waving at me from her chair at the back of the class. She looked particularly beautiful in her school uniform, and she was quite radiant. She radiated a wave of happiness that seemed to pass through the whole class and reach me, and I could feel an extension of her smile forming on my lips.

The teacher coughed and brought me back to reality.

"You can sit on that empty chair at the back, the closest to Kelly." She pointed to the back of the class where I could see the chair she assigned me to. I would sit between Kelly and another empty chair. Looking back at my teacher, I noticed that when her gaze fell on the second empty chair she seemed suspiciously unpleased. This was only confirmed by a whisper following that, so low I was most likely the only one that could hear it. “Interesting.”

A girl with braids raised her hand quickly.

"But that's Megan's seat, Miss. Foster!"

The teacher just shook her head in denial, but her brown hair didn't move a single millimeter. Almost as if the hairspray had made it solid as a rock. She probably spent hours working on that poney-tail, and it is certainly a practical hairstyle: it makes her look serious and could defend her from a meteor falling from the sky.

"I'm afraid not." She pressed her temple. "Not anymore. I was informed this morning that Megan's family just moved, due to her father's new job in a big company."

It sounded like everyone in class had decided to talk (or rather, scream like little kids at the sight of a new candy) at the same time. They all seemed to be so surprised with the sudden departure of their colleague that I felt like I had become old news already. The ear-shattering noise went on for a while, but it was so solid I felt like it would go on and on, forever.

The teacher raised her open hand and started to close it slowly, finger by finger. A few students noticed the quiet countdown and started warning the others as quickly as they could. They seemed to be truly afraid of what happened at the end of the countdown. Before she reached the number four, the class was silent once again.

Miss. Foster lowered her hand and gazed at me. At that moment I realized that she had already told me where I should sit and I was in her way to start class. I hurried to the empty chair, without knowing exactly what I was afraid of. Now that I think about it, it's much scarier when you don't know what the monster looks like.

The desk I ended up with was on the last row, located by the window. I sat by Kelly's side (haven't heard her last name yet), and smiled shyly at her.

"Hello..." I try to think of a proper thing to say, but I haven't been in this town for a while and this is harder than it seems. Sometimes it's hard to think that I'm actually American; I've spent most of my life living abroad. In the end, I decide to go with a neutral greeting . "...Hello"

She simply looks at me without a trace of expression on her face and makes the V sign with her fingers. After that, her attention just goes back to the other person sitting by her side, Leah. She just kept talking to Leah like I wasn't even there for a while, and now she keeps blocking my way when I try to talk to Leah. It looks like she is jealous or something. In this moment, this Kelly girl is literally between me and Leah.

Who managed to look at me and give me one of her puppy grins when the girl with the razor cut fringe was distracted. It was just a simple gesture and nothing but one of the oldest forms of communication known by mankind, but it meant more than words to me.

After that small yet significant commotion about the girl who moved, the day was calm. It took me a while to get used to the way of the class, but Leah helped me with that and said that it was only expected since I've been living outside of several states for a while. When the rest of the class heard Leah saying that, they started to ask me if I needed any help and stuff. I felt a little bit like a foreigner in my own country (which is partially the truth, anyway), but they were all very helpful. So in the end, it was a great start for a first day and everyone in class was pretty much nice to me...

...and everything felt alright until lunchtime.