23

Mason Maloney

"You're going to Tony's tonight, right?" Nathan asked when I saw him at the end of the day before he went to practice.

"Probably," I answered. "Bella and Pete really want to go."

Nathan nodded. "Do you have a DD?"

"Probably Ross," I told him.

"You can stay at Tony's with me if you need to," Nathan offered.

"I think I'll be fine," I assured him. "But thanks."

And with that, Nathan walked off down the hallway toward the locker room. Nathan hadn't brought up my confession since yesterday, but it was obvious that he was trying his hardest to be supportive as he kept his eye on me all day.

I turned on my heel and went out to the parking lot in search of Ross. It didn't take long to find him as he stood outside his car, talking to a girl from his chemistry class.

"Hey," I greeted as I approached them.

"Hi, Mason!" the girl, Liza, exclaimed happily.

I had rarely ever spoken to Liza, but I knew she was a fairly outgoing and pleasant person, pretty much the opposite of Ross.

I smiled kindly at her before looking to Ross who looked slightly uncomfortable, a slight tint of pink on his cheeks as he shifted on his feet.

"Will I see you guys at Tony's tonight?" Liza asked brightly.

"I think so," I answered, looking to Ross for confirmation. He just nodded.

"Great!" Liza said. "I'll see you guys later!"

Liza pulled Ross into a quick hug before turning on her heel and walking toward her car. The two of us watched her leave for a few moments before I turned to Ross with a coy smile on my face.

"Liza, huh?" I said teasingly.

Ross rolled his eyes, opening the driver's door and sliding in. I copied him, my smirk not leaving my face.

"You like her," I said, as if stating a fact.

"It's nothing," Ross said, waving me off and putting the car in reverse.

"Ross!" I exclaimed. "It's not nothing! You like her."

"She's cool," he admitted as he coasted through the parking lot.

"She's also pretty, and nice, and smart," I trailed with a grin.

"Sounds like you like her," he mumbled.

I just rolled my eyes.

Ross sighed and glanced at me briefly. "I think she's into me."

"That's great!" I said.

"But I don't know how I feel about her," he continued.

My face fell. "Why?"

"I just don't think I want a relationship," Ross told me with a shrug.

I rolled my eyes. "You haven't dated in forever."

"And that didn't work out," he reminded me.

"Maybe this will," I encouraged him. "Liza's cool. I think you should go for it."

"You haven't dated in a while either," Ross said with his eyebrow raised, taking the attention off of him.

I instantly felt uncomfortable, sinking back in my seat and looking out the window. I didn't know if I would call what happened between Sam and me "dating" but it was something like that. Not that Ross needed to know about that.