Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"After this morning’s briefing on Akula, I’m convinced last week’s stunt at the mall was an intentional diversion and that none of Frank’s files will yield any credible info. Instead I’m going to follow the money trail, which is the only thing that will lead directly to Akula."

- From DIG: The Official Prequel, Inspired by USA Network's Television Event Series

To: LynnMonahan@USconsulate.com

From: PeterConnelly@USconsulate.com

Re: Jonathan Frank Facial Recognition

July 27, 2014

Lynn:

The facial recognition search on Jonathan Frank led to more than 20 separate aliases wanted throughout the world. I also heard that he was spotted at the mall yesterday. (The police told me of the incident after, of course. Cooperation, apparently, doesn’t go both ways.) After this morning’s briefing on Akula, I’m convinced last week’s stunt at the mall was an intentional diversion and that none of Frank’s files will yield any credible info. Instead I’m going to follow the money trail, which is the only thing that will lead directly to Akula.

In other news, I’m still waiting for you to take me around the city. How about a good old-fashioned American meal tonight, on me of course?

Best, Peter

---------------------------

PETER CONNELLY: FIELD NOTES - AKULA FILES

July 30, 2014 – 2:30am Israeli time (7:30pm EST)

Worked all night looking for something odd in Jonathan Frank’s behavior on the security footage. Still drawing a blank. Meanwhile, Liat has unsuccessfully tried to track the wire transfer data from the bank. It seems it’s impossible to pinpoint where the money went without transaction numbers. She has stated that there was suspicious activity, namely that the account of one of Israel’s largest diamond dealers received thousands of large-dollar deposits, and more than 10,000 small-dollar deposits. This is clearly unusual behavior for a wholesaler. When added together, the small-dollar deposits total $25 million, which is the exact amount that is missing. There are no coincidences. Off to trace the money.

---------------------------

DRAFT OF UNSENT EMAIL

To: JConnelly@gmail.com

From: Peter Connelly

Re: Soccer

Date: July 31, 2014

I’m settled in at the hotel, as well as can be expected. I still haven’t unpacked and the spicy food is not helping my already queasy stomach. Outside my hotel there are a bunch of kids who have started daily pick-up soccer games; they have recruited me as a mid-fielder even though I keep telling them I’m better suited as a forward. (The gang of kids ranges from 8-13 and play a mean game.) Reminds me of all those games we had to shuttle Vicki to and from. Remember how annoying the other parents were? How competitive? That one lady with the pink visor that used to yell at her kid to score, remember that voice? You used to say it sounded like a demented foghorn. What was her name? I forget. I miss talking with you. Will you please talk to me? We can talk about nothing or everything. Please.

---------------------------

DRAFT OF UNSENT EMAIL

To: JConnelly@gmail.com