Next steps

“97, 98, 99, 100.” Jayliss panted as he did his final press up. He hopped up, his body lithe and strong and wiped an arm across his forehead. He moved to the bars of his cell and peered out, checking the time. A trolley was being wheeled along by two guards. “What delicacy do we have today then lads?” He called, as usual he was ignored and he gave a slight smirk.

“Against the back wall inmate.” The order was barked in sharp tones, taking his time, Jay wiped the sweat off his face with a towel and backed up to the wall of his cell. There was a clang as the door was opened and a tray of food was slid onto the table with a clatter. He made a sudden move forwards and the guards jumped, fumbling with the lock on the cell door. Laughing, he sat down and flipped back the lid that covered the tray. He nodded.

“Ahhh grey, the colour that all food should be.” He sighed, grabbing the fork. He ate swiftly and efficiently, cleaning the tray of every scrap.

When Joe got back to the house he caught sight of Lara sitting on the front step. Swearing under his breath he jumped out of the car and jogged over, she looked up as he neared her, shielding her eyes from the sun. “Are you alright?” He asked urgently, crouching down, she nodded slightly, still squinting.

“I’m ok, got back earlier than I thought and I didn’t want to bother the neighbours for a key.” He nodded, suddenly aware that he’d grasped her hands with concern as he’d crouched before her. “The sun’s nice.” He smiled suddenly and looked around, aware that it was warm on his back.

“Yeah it is.” He let them into the house and threw himself onto the sofa. “I’m being reassigned.” He yawned, rubbing his face. “No easy way to say this babe…They’re reforming seven…Luke and I will be leading it.” She sat down suddenly, her face losing all expression. He sighed and sat up straighter, searching for something to say. The room was quiet for a long moment, the sunlight shone through the window pooling around the chair where Lara sat. After a while she nodded.

“Well…well it was a s…successful patrol group before…” she began, then stopped and got to her feet. “I’m going to be a mentor.” Joe nodded, watching her. “F…for a Leshan deserter who they want to work for us.” He frowned.

“Christ, that was on the agenda last month, we voted against it…it was turned down.” She shrugged, he heard her move into the kitchen and a cupboard door clatter then there was a long silence and he got stiffly to his feet and slowly walked to the doorway. Lara was bent over the counter, resting her head on folded arms, eyes closed. “Lara.” She nodded but didn’t alter her position. “You ok?”

“I think I’ll just go to bed now.” Her voice was very quiet, she felt that if she spoke louder something… something within her would crack. Gradually she straightened up and left the solid surface of the kitchen counter, putting out a hand to steady herself against the sink, the wall, the doorframe. She moved very slowly, exhaustion creeping through her body.

“Is there anything you need?” Joe asked gently, taking her outstretched hand as she neared him, she looked at him and to him she looked shut down, closed off. “Just sleep?...it’s been a tough day.” She nodded and he put an arm round her as she sagged against him. Still, every time he really looked at her, he was horrified to see how thin she was, how pale her face was. She seemed to be barely holding herself together at times, the shell of herself still in place but what had made her so vibrant, so strong before…in pieces within her. He held her for a minute and when she didn’t move he bent and lifted her up, carrying her to the guest bedroom and putting her carefully on the bed. He sat down beside her and she felt the bed dip, curling onto her side, she shuffled up against him and felt him put a hand on her back.

“It’s just ups and downs.” She murmured.

“That’s ok…when do you start?” She sighed softly.