Life Death and Rebirth

Violent waves crashed against the haul of the boat, Hope lurched backward into the wall behind her. Loud static like music filled her ears. The rain was too heavy and she wanted out. She quiet clumsily walks to a door, wishing for safety. She was cold and wet, an unpleasant feeling. Wind flew in her direction, causing chills to go down her spine.

Mentally chastising herself, she wonders why she decided to go with her friend. Of all the times she wonders why she decided this was the best day. A current had dragged the boat off course and a troubling storm had started to brew. Her inner turmoil was just like the storm. She should have known better, and should have said something about not going north. The ship lurched again, reminding her not to get so caught up in thought. But it also brought the fact it was not only her.

Getting to the door and opening it she flung herself into the room. Glad to be out of the wind, she let out a shaky breath. She was scared, hope didn't know anything that could help this situation, plus her friends family had invited her, she hoped everything would be safe. Feeling pressure in her chest rising into her throat she felt like she was choking. Letting hot tears flow from her eyes, she folds her hands.
"Please father earth, protect me, please mother ocean keep me safe, even though I am not your child, I am scared" she chanted.

As old belief had held the whole world together, she briefly wonders if mother ocean would save her, it was possible. Or perhaps father earth would save her. Or even angels and dragons, she wasn't picky. A loud creaking sound played above the room and a snap followed. A quick realization made her pause from her chant. This is to dangerous to be at.

Stumbling around as the boat started swaying she felt fear bubble its way into her again. She needed to get out, what if the ship started sinking. With that thought, she hurriedly got out of the room and back into the static filled ship deck. She wanted to cry or was still crying, she can't tell, but that didn't matter. She kept looking, she couldn't find anyone, what now. Once the storm had kicked up she was told to stay to keep an eye on the deck. Them viewing as this storm lower then it actually was. Icy claws struck her, leaving chills and fear crawling around her. What if they couldn't find her, and they left. Maybe they fell overboard.

Running off to one side of the boat she ran along side of the rails, wanting to find the life boats, or someone. No one, she mused, "must be the other side" and with that she went to walk across the boat. Just as her foot landed her whole body fell backwards, the boat tipped slightly, and she slipped. It was all slow motion for her.

A scream, and then a cold shock. She curled up in a half floating ball, it was so cold she couldn't tell if she was shivering, and that scream. She wanted to call back, to let that person know she was alright and just needed more saving. She opened her mouth in an attempt. Her throat burned. Salty water splashed into her face. Gross salty water. Gross cold salty water. She wanted to cry, or maybe she was, it was all the same.

She felt as if she was floating away. Of course looking around wildly she could see no ship. 'Someone, please help' she wanted to say, or even whisper. She could be heard if she could even open her mouth. Everything stilled.

It was still dark and raining. But the ocean stilled. It was much easier to stay floating. She looked up to the sky, hoping to see an angel or perhaps a dragon. Maybe the elusive Earth unicorn swimming to her rescued. Or a dark figure in the water. She was tired.

So tired, she wanted a nap. But falling asleep in a cold ocean would be a bad idea likely. She would know, it said so on TV and books. She wanted to laugh. It felt fake, this all had to be right. Storms don't do that, and her friends are smart.

She closed her eyes, she couldn't tell if the water was warmer now or not. She let herself imagine she was safe. Curled up in bed with her mother. The bed was warm, and safe within her mothers arms.

"Its alright young one" her voice would say. She felt horrible. This was some sort of dream. "Young one, you are safe" She said again. She was safe, warm, and not lost at sea.

"Mom... I'm tired.. Can I go back to sleep? I don't want another nightmare.." She said, curling up unto her mother. Her arms were wet, like she just got out of a shower or went for a swim. She opened her eyes. Dark blue eyes looked back at her, pale skin with black long hair trailed from her. That was not her mother. The ocean is still around. That's why she felt bad. No dreams.

She looked back to the lady. Her blue eyes held sorrow, the lady looked worried. She was scared. What is wrong, who is that.

"Sleep" She said holding the girl. The girl couldn't feel. Was it warmth or her imagination. She wonders if she should try moving. Perhaps she could sleep, maybe she was safe. She held on, while the woman held her. She started to hum, it sounded calming. And that was it. The song and feeling of safety.

Warmth, that's all she felt. A blanket with an odd texture was over her. Hope opened her eyes. Dark blue. Like the room was made of stone. She sat up, her hair followed and floated in front of her. It was pretty. Her hair swirled around and stayed in its ever floated state. She was still underwater.

Moving the covers she found a tail. Like a mermaid tail. Those creatures that people made up. It was beautiful. Like her sandy blonde hair, it too looked like that. The scales weren't even all the same color. Some darker and some lighter. Just like her hair. The fins were translucent silver. Makes her think of beta fish. The thought made her giggle.

End

Hope you guys liked this. My goal was to get around 1000 words and I achieved that, yayI'm kinda practicing writing for a few stories I want to write so leave some writing tips and suggestions. Please do, I will be happy. Also if you like to ask oc's questions I have a story so you go and see it. It'll have all my oc's and info on them. I am able to get back quickly, like around a day or two. Thank you for reading this!!