Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

As we began walking towards the neon-lit building, the vibrant glow illuminated the surrounding area. The sound of pulsating music grew more distinct with each step, infusing the air with an energetic rhythm. Streams of people continuously flowed in and out of the front doors, creating an atmosphere of ceaseless movement. As we crossed the threshold, the music enveloped us, assaulting our senses with its booming intensity. Dim lighting cast a mysterious ambiance, casting shadows upon the myriad of tables and chairs that occupied the expansive space. Amongst the seating arrangements, a designated area boasted an array of trinkets and books, emphasizing the multifaceted nature of the establishment. At first glance, it appeared like any other lounge, but as we approached, we encountered a small black rope that served as a barrier, preventing anyone from venturing further without permission. Adjacent to the rope, a sign commanded us to "Wait to be Seated," implying that there was more to uncover within. As we stood there, anticipation building, I allowed my gaze to wander, absorbing the essence of the place. Scattered throughout the room, various kiosk stands beckoned with their distinctive offerings, each manned by an attendant. These employees, dressed impeccably in black pants and button-down shirts, effortlessly glided through the crowd, serving drinks and hors d'oeuvres with a casual grace. Their flawless appearances and captivating charisma drew attention, particularly from the women who paraded around like it was a festivity rather than a mere lounge. The air was charged with flirtation, as if the venue had transformed into one grand "meet market," akin to my mother's colorful description of such places. Amidst this whirlwind of activity, one kiosk attendant captured my undivided attention. He was the one from my dreams. Every aspect of his appearance, from his hair to his captivating gaze, matched the figure that had inhabited my subconscious. It was as if my dream had foretold our encounter, hinting at the possibility of meeting my soulmate. Overwhelmed by the sight, I found myself unable to move, fixated on him, until a sudden high-pitched voice pierced my reverie.

As I looked at Trish, a rush of confusion and disbelief washed over me, making me question if I had somehow entered an alternate reality. Her warm embrace enveloped a petite, brunette girl with an infectious smile named Katrina.

"Akila, this is my very good friend Katrina." Trish introduced her as her friend, but my weariness from meeting numerous people throughout the day dampened my enthusiasm for any new encounters.

"Hi. It's nice to meet you." Katrina seemed equally disinterested, preferring to remain rooted by Trish's side. They immediately engaged in a lively conversation, almost oblivious to my presence. Feeling like an obligatory tag-along, I reluctantly followed as they moved away, making it glaringly apparent that I had become the third wheel. The familiarity of this role, one I had often played in high school, made the sensation all too familiar. As Trish and Katrina delved deeper into their gossip, we sidestepped, allowing the women behind us to be seated first. Glancing at the kiosk attendant, I strained to catch a glimpse of his features amidst the chatter. He diligently assisted two middle-aged women who appeared utterly captivated by his mere presence. Even after receiving their purchases, they continued to gaze at him as if on the verge of swooning. As no other customers approached his kiosk, he momentarily glanced around the store, and our eyes unexpectedly met. A blush crept onto my cheeks, yet he responded with an enchanting smile, causing me to reciprocate before quickly averting my gaze.

Caught off guard, I realized that Trish and Katrina were standing near me, having overheard their conversation. My cheeks flushed with warmth, leaving me at a loss for words. Both Trish and Katrina turned to assess the source of their discussion, evaluating if he was worthy of their attention.

"Are you checking him out?" Katrina's mischievous grin widened. Flustered and tongue-tied, I struggled to find a suitable response. Trish's discreet tap on my arm interrupted my thoughts, and she whispered.