13. How Dare You

"Can you drive, human?"

I glared at the new mer and squirmed my way out of Callem's arms as we got closer to my truck. Sharp pebbles from the asphalt parking lot dug into my heels, but I could deal with it.

"Of course. Get your brother and Jayson in the back, and don't just throw Jay."

I saw him pause through the tinted glass window after he'd opened the door, catching him about to toss my friend in without a care. He hesitated at my warning, though, then just dropped him in the back.

Well, at least it isn't a throw.

He then somehow managed to get Callem into the truck without speaking before hopping in himself.

Okay, now I just need to stay conscious enough to drive. No problem.

Rolling my eyes, I slid into the driver's seat and sighed before turning on the truck. The air conditioning definitely woke me up a bit as it slapped cold air in my face. I reached over and snapped it off, then slowly began backing up. The drive was pretty slow because of the diminishing weather conditions, but we managed to make it back to my place after about half an hour. Both mers were silent on the drive, but I was able to hear Jayson moving around in the back, trying to wake up from the sedative.

I pulled into the driveway, opening the garage door with the button I kept on the car's flip-down sun visor. When I had the car inside, I pushed the button again, then got out as the door shut itself. Callem's brother was already getting out, holding a squirming Jay over his shoulder even though my friend was already obviously awake. He didn't seem to have enough energy to really fight him yet, though, so I suppose it was better than leaving him in my truck since I definitely couldn't carry him right then. While Callem's brother set Jayson on the sofa, I got my phone out and called Oliver. Thankfully he picked up on the third ring, though he obviously had been sleeping due to the sound of his scratchy voice.

"Parker..."

"Uh, long story short. Callem has a brother. We were attacked while researching them. The people are dead thanks to said brother, but now we think Callem has a chip."

"I just woke up. How are you today?"

"Dammit, Oliver, come on."

There was a tired sigh on the other end of the line and then the sound of blankets being pushed away.

"Man, you have the worst timing. I literally just got to bed twenty minutes ago."

"Anyways, I need you here now. The chip needs removed from Callem."

"Did you scan him yet?"

He paused at the end of the question and a yawn took over as I walked into my room to find my equipment. I really needed to give it back to the facility... later. I dug through my top dresser drawer, finding the scanner after only a few seconds.

"I got it, gonna go scan him real quick and call you back. Get ready to head over and bring a dart."

Oliver grunted on the other end of the phone, then disconnected the call before I could say anything else. With a mental shrug, I put the phone in my back pocket and walked back out into the living room.

"Can you tell him to hold still? I need to run this over his body until it beeps."

Callem's brother bristled slightly, his gills flaring, but he reluctantly nodded after a moment and turned to his brother who was sitting on the sofa near Jay's outstretched body.

Callem glanced up at me but turned to his brother when he sat down beside him and began humming and licking at his neck. Since he seemed distracted, I took the opportunity and ran the scanner up and down his arms and chest, checking his shoulders before dipping down toward his legs. At first I didn't get any signal, but when I doubled back and checked around his gills, the device beeped loudly, startling both brothers into hissing.