Chapter 1 Same as Me?

Kiara's Point of View

"Kiara come in the monkey bars!" A shrill, tinny, voice rang in my ears. Two girls ran up to me with grins stretching. The bell of salvation had rung, and every child had run out of the torture in the form of Noelani Middle School, and ran to the protection of recess!

I turned to meet the voice that had called my name, but stumbled as a boy deliberately stuck his foot in front of mine. I crashed to the ground, twisting my wrist. Huffing, I stood, cradling my hand to my chest.

"Kiara - are you coming or not?!" Kylie asked loudly, with no hint of sympathy in her eyes from the evident bullying that had just taken place.

I had hoped to make a friend after all, it was my first day. But I couldn't play on the monkey bars, or play tag, or play Red Rover with all of the other children.

I was diagnosed with Muscle Disease Arthritis - a disease that made it difficult to walk up a short flight of stairs, or lift my arms, or even standing up from a sitting position. Trouble breathing or swallowing after standing or walking was common for me too. I was crippled. At my old school, it had resulted in several cases of bullying, including the reason I moved away. How could I stay surrounded by people that hated me, surrounded by memories drenched with pain and distraught.

"I can't play on the monkey bars," I said to a impatient Kylie who tapped her foot wildly. I tried to explain my condition to her - surely she'd understand.

"Wimp." She murmured striding past me without even another glance. She hit my shoulder on the way out, and I felt a bruise beginning to form. Her shorter friend, followed her.

I hate it here.

I don't get why I have to be here! I could have just stayed at home but NO I have to come to school because mom has to work because dad died a month ago in Afganistan because he was in the army.. My next period is physical education but I'm dreading it. That is because I can't even run or I might faint so mom told the P.E. teacher, and she said I can watch on the side the whole time. Ok the periods over and we can go to *sigh* P.E. now.

Now all my classmates are playing volleyball and only I am on the side watching.

"Hi. What is your name? And why are you watching on the side?" this girl had come up to me. I looked at her clothes and realized she was not wearing P.E. clothes. She had long black hair an big brown eyes. And she was pretty. She must be in a different class.

"My name is Kiara and why are you here? What is your name? Im watching on the side because I have MDA." I said she looked surprised and said "Really? My name is Alyssa and I have MDA too and I'm in your P.E. class too but I have to watch as well." "What? I exclaimed. "Yeah its weird right? I mean that we are in the same P.E. class." So soon we fell into conversation about the fears and harsh life we both shared. The one that hurts us so badly. But we promised each other we will go through school together and never quit.