Cracked Glasses

I've been hopelessly in love with the same person for years. 

I've watched him fall in and out of love a countless amount of times. 

I've heard the tears from his eyes when they don't feel the same.

I've seen the smirk on his face when they speak to him.

I've been his best friend, his tutor, his counselor, his coworker. 

But all I really want is to be his everything. 

Clicking in the pen I lay the finished paper on Mr. O'Connel's desk. He looks up at me smiling before glancing around at the still writing students. "I expect only the best from you Miss Cassandra." 

I smiled English has always been my favorite subject and Mr. O'Connel makes it even better. He takes a different approach then most teachers do. Instead of simply having us read and then analyze it with questions he's found off the internet or from the reading guide of the book, O'Connel has us write and answer our own questions. It's more detective like in thinking, inductive reasoning at it's finest. 

Then again he also tells us Wikipedia is a reliable source getting all the other staff members to hate his guts. 

But that is also why he is my favorite teacher. 

"Expect and you shall receive," I returned to my seat grabbing my bag off the back of the chair. Jake looks up from his paper and our gaze meets. 

He shakes his head smiling. "Wait for me," He mouths. Like I would ever leave him stranded at the school. Jake is the apple to my pie, we're made for each other, the perfect pair. If only it could happen in the way I long for it to. 

I nod before heading out of the classroom. The halls are empty on account of the fact there are still ten minutes left of seventh bell. At that time the halls will flood with a sea of students in pure chaos as they prepare for the football game tonight. For the time being I plan to indulge myself into the infinite amount of universes located in the library. 

A few students roam the shelves and some are seated at separate chairs with their noses stuck into a book. The student worker looks up from the desk to look at me before looking away again. Normally he would ask for a pass but I come here so often he's stopped. I head back to the fiction section and begin pulling random books from the shelves. 

"Somehow I knew I'd find you here," Jake's voice pulls me from reality. He has on his signature leather jacket, with his book bag slung over one of his shoulders. 

"I am certainly easy to track down," I glance behind him at the glass showing me full view of the buzzing hallway. "Let's go." I tuck the book I had in my hands back into its' proper place on the shelf. 

We walk through the halls side by side trying to make it through the mass that is our over populated school. "So what are our plans for tonight," Jake questions. 

I chuckle rolling my eyes, "What don't have any plans with Olivia?" 

"Come on Cass. You know I'd pick you over all of my girlfriends any day." 

I stop giving him a long look.

"Okay she's going out of town to visit her Dad," Jake reveals a twinkle in his chocolate eyes. "But still you know I care about you. You're my best friend." 

I smirk, "I'm just messing with you." I punch his shoulder. "Of course I know that. Besides I have to go to the game tonight. Wouldn't look good for the student body president to miss a game now would it." 

We round the corner and I get completely plowed over. My glasses fly off and I completely lose my sight. Everything is a blur around me. A tall figure with a red and white jacket looms over me. "Dude watch where you're going," Jake's figure is now blocking most of the figure that knocked me down yet he still gets towered over. 

"Look man I'm sorry but it's also her fault too," I know that voice anywhere. Anyone in the school could identify it from a mile away. 

Garrett Strong.

His last name being merely a coincidence to his amazing athletic ability.

"Still you could have hurt her," Jake growled. I could feel everyone's stares on the three of us, although I couldn't tell you what they are even seeing. Everyone understands to some extent the unspoken elephant in the room hinted at by their words.

Garrett sighs pushing Jake out of the way. Next I'm being lifted up onto my feet. "Are you okay," He asks handing me my glasses. There's a huge crack on the right lens and my butt hurts like hell. 

"Yeah I'm fine." My eyes flick to his hands that are still resting on my shoulders. Garrett quickly removes them. 

"Sorry about your glasses Cassie," He apologizes. I simply nod readjusting my book bag back onto my shoulders. Garrett turns back to Jake who is fuming. I can see the steam coming out of his ears. "I'll leave you to your girlfriend. Maybe next time be a better boyfriend and help her up next time." 

"We're not dating," I quickly blurt out. Never have those words rolled off my tongue. It's always Jake to deny it when people ask us, which happens quite frequently to say the least. Normally I'd bite my tongue and prevent myself from saying something stupid about wanting to date him. 

Jake and Garrett have one last stare down, "Well I hope to see you in the stands tonight then Cassie." Then as quickly as this started it all ended. 

The hallway clears leaving Jake and I alone. "You shouldn't drive with your glasses like that." 

"Will you and Garrett ever get along?" I ask looking him dead in the eyes. 

Jake purses his lips shaking his head. "No Cass I don't think we ever will. And I want you to stay away from him okay. I don't need him ruining another part of my life." 

"I would never do that to you and you know that Jake. Don't ever think that's okay. Now let's go. I've got ice cream at home that's just screaming my name."  

 well this has been sitting in my word documents for a while and I just got really inspired and wrote like thrity pages into it. so here's the first chapter hope anyone that's reading enjoys