Sheriff's Department: Part V

Andrea and I return to the lobby to see that everyone is awake, except for Carol and Glenn. "Sophia, wake your mom up for me darlin'." I bark. "What the hell are you doing on the roof firing guns!?" Lori starts bickering. "Not now." I motion to T-Dog to wake Glenn up. "Yes. Right now!" She strikes back. I give her a look filled with disdain, before addressing the entire group. "Alright everyone, listen up!" I can sense Lori angrily staring a hole through me for ignoring her. "We have a situation outside. There's about two dozen geeks moving this way. The way I see it we have two options, sit tight and hope they just walk on by, or leave now for Fort Benning."

Lori grabs my arm and turns me to her. "Why are there two dozen geeks coming towards us, SHANE?" This is NOT the time bitch. I bite my tongue. "Because you and your little bimbo want to shoot guns off, on the roof." She speaks low so only I can hear her. "We'll talk later okay? Right now I want to figure out what we're gonna do about this situation" I exhort. "The situation YOU put us in." She persists. "You've GOT to be kiddin' me right now with this sh--". I'm cut off by Carol, who asks "Shane, what are we going to do?" Finally something productive. "I think we should stay." Carol continues. "Stay? In the line of a geek horde? Sounds a bit reckless." Glenn adds from across the room. "Isn't it reckless to go out there with them?" Carol responds. "Maybe for you, I'm more comfortable on the move." Glenn shoots back. I need to cut them off before this escalates.

"Alright enough! If we wait any longer we won't BE ABLE to leave! There's nine of us here, including Carl and Sophia. We're gonna vote, majority rules. Who thinks we should stay?" I look across the group to see Carol, Sophia, Carl, Dale, and Lori all raising their hands. Damn, We really should be going. "Guess that settles it then. Okay we need to get those doors blocked." The doors were glass, not ideal for the situation. Glenn and T-Dog start moving a few tables towards the doors. "Everyone pack up what you need, incase we have to bail. We'll use the same door we came in from.  Any questions?" I wait. Nothing. Good. I hate questions.

After preparing our supplies for the probable scenario that we will have to flee the department, T-Dog and I position ourselves against the tables that are leaning up on the doors, to provide extra resistance. Everyone else sits quietly by the hall leading to our emergency exit. I can hear the geeks passing now, the moaning sounds growing louder as more and more of them group up and begin to pass by. I peek out from behind the tables through the glass door and I can see what appears like an endless wave of undead corpses stumbling past. Just when it looks like this idea is going to work, I hear Carol. "Sophia come back." I turn to see Sophia running to our exit door. Carl begins to give chase. As he catches up and grabs Sophia's arm, she is spun around and as she falls to the floor, and flails for something to grab a hold of she brings a broom and mop down with her, making a crashing sound that echoes through the corridor. I peek back out from behind the table and see that the noise has caught the attention of the geeks outside. Shit.

They come aggresively crashing against the door. With the amount of geeks pressing against our barricade I don't know how much longer we can keep them out. Glenn runs over to help us resist the geek horde at our doorstep. I let one of the doors open just enough to stab a couple of geeks through the head. "Maybe we can keep funneling them and clear it out!" I explain to T-Dog and Glenn. "Why? What are we doing here Shane? The ultimate goal is Fort Benning, so why are we wasting our time and energy here? We NEED to go." Glenn urges. He was right. We shouldn't have stayed here in the first place, but I decided to be democratic and let people vote, even though I knew this wasn't the best of ideas.

"Andrea! Get everyone out and into our cars. Make sure T-Dog's van and my jeep are started up and ready to go. We'll be out right behind you!" As soon as I'm finished giving the instructions the glass doors shatter and a large shard of glass cuts clean through the right side of T-Dog's chest. His screams are deafening. His blood starts dripping on to the floor. "We gotta move, NOW!" I command while placing T-Dog's left arm around my neck to support his weight. "Hang in there partner!" Glenn helps T-Dog from the other side and we make our way to the side exit door. With the geeks closing in, we barely escape through the door and manage to slam it closed behind us, trapping the geek horde inside of the department. Glenn takes T-Dog to Dale's RV and then hops in T-Dog's vans passenger side while Andrea drives. I get in my Jeep where Lori, Carl, and Sophia are waiting for me. I drive out in front and lead the convoy on the highway for Fort Benning. Dale's RV takes up the rear.

"Now would you like to tell me why you were shooting on the roof?" Lori reiterates. "Can't you just let it go!? T-Dog may be dying right now, training Andrea on that rifle was necessary. She may save our lives one day." I answer. "You're right T-Dog may be about to DIE, because you're doing what's necessary. Why do YOU get to decide what's necessary? You can't hide behind that shit every time you and your little blonde tramp get us into a bad situation!" I think I understand now. "This isn't about shooting at all, is it? This is about Andrea. You think I like Andrea." I look in my mirror and see the RV swaying ever so slightly. "No it's not that. I--" The RV suddenly swerves off of the road and flips over onto its side. "Shit!" I yell out and slam the brakes. What happened back there?