Chapter 7 - Waking Up

(William)

I woke up before she did. But to be fair I hadn't been on the verge of death last night. I stared at her as she mumbled something, scrunching her legs up to her chest and nuzzling her face in against the pillow. Does she do that all night? It seemed to be a rather exhausting way to sleep. She mumbled something again. What was she saying? I leaned a little closer to the bed and listened.

".... Dax"

I grit my teeth against the sudden surge of jealousy. Of course she had a boyfriend, she was gorgeous and adorable... despite the fact she seemed to have a death wish. That doesn't bother me. Why should it? She has a boyfriend, I have a girlfriend, people do that. It's normal. Nothing to be bothered by. Nothing at all to be bothered by. I'm bothered.

I tried to shake off the annoyed feeling. I'd probably never even see her again anyways.

That thought hit me hard in the gut. I didn't want to never see the girl again. Also I really needed to figure out her name. It was bothering me to have to label her as 'the girl' in my mind.

I flinched as she mumbled the name again.

I heard Hazel clanking pots down in the kitchen and decided to go see if she needed any help.

I was halfway to the stairs when she started making a different sound. Not mumbling anymore. Tears rolled out from under her closed eyelids and she thrashed in her sleep, clutching her chest as if trying to hold herself together.

I hesitated, standing undecided between the bed and the stairs. She let out the smallest noise, just a tiny squeak full of so much sorrow it was hurt to listen to. I turned around, heading back to her.

I sat on the edge of the bed, unsure of what to do. She rolled in her sleep, nestling herself up against me. Her hand landed on mine. It was freezing! I picked it up, it looked ridiculously tiny in my hand. I studied it for a second, wondering how something so small could possibly work correctly. Her long thin fingers fisted inside my hand, proving that they did function.. I picked up her other hand and held them between mine, warming her icy fingers. Once I was sure blood was still circulating through them I tried to wake her from whatever nightmare she was having. Her tiny hands trembled as I set them back down on the bed.

I put my hand on her shoulder, shaking her gently. It was frigid. I tested her cheek, laying the back of my hand against it. It felt like all her body heat had been sucked from her body. It was unnerving I pulled the blanket up tight around her and shook her shoulder, unsure of what to do. She still didn't wake, she just lay there crying and shaking.

"Miss..." My voice sounded weird. I cleared my throat and tried again. "Miss. Wake up." I raised my voice a little. "You need to wake up now. Wake up, it's just a dream."

She continued to sleep like the dead. That is if the dead fretted and cried.

"Wake up."

She curled in on herself.