Chapter One

My Father was sitting outside our compound one fateful evening. He was sharpening his farm tools, getting ready for the following day. Yahaya, his elder sister's son came from the next village to visit us.

"Peace be unto you" he greeted my father.

"Ah...My nephew. You are welcome"

"Thank you uncle."

"How is everyone at home?"

"They were doing very well when I left."

"Ok that's good."

Yahaya went into the house and greeted my mother and others. He was served food which he ate appreciatively. He said he just visited to check on us. He gave us regards from his parents and others. But before he left, he told my father that he'll like me to come and stay with him. I was not up to four years old then. My father being a wise man did not reply immediately. He told him to come back the following week and he left. That night, my father discussed with my mother regarding the issue. At first my mother refused.

"Pi da,  this boy is still tender. Besides it's not up to seven months I weaned him. Am sorry but I can't let him out of my sight. At least not yet. Mi ta min." Mother said

"Toh, mi ku wo. But Kande, this boy is my son too. Also, he is going to stay with my sister's son, his cousin, not a stranger. You think I'll agree to it without critical thought? What do you think will go through Yahaya's mind if we don't let him have the boy? Definitely there will be issues not with just him but even his parents. You and I know that this isn’t a new thing. It's normal for people to ask children within their extended family to come and stay with them", father said in an attempt to make her change her mind.

But she was obstinate. She insisted that Yahaya should wait a year or two more.Through out the week, My father continued trying to make her see reasons why she should let me go.

My Father, a well known and respected man was very vast in the knowledge of herbs and charm. He could summon spirits and could cast out spirits when they possessed people. This made him powerful and feared. Through out our village and the surrounding villages, my family was well respected. But even though my father was more powerful than all the herbalist, sorcerers and diviners around combined, he never used his power for evil unnecessarily, neither was he autocratic. He loved his wife and children very much. He respected my mother to the extent that he always asked for her opinion on many issues. That was why he never took me forcefully from her. He gave her time, talked to her until she finally agreed to let go.

The following week, Yahaya came as he was instructed. He was welcomed as usual. Before I was handed over to him, my dad had a discussion with him.

"Yahaya"... My father started.

"Yes, uncle."

"The last time you came to visit us, you asked me to let your cousin come and stay with you. Is that right?"
"Yes, uncle."

"Good. You are my sister's son and that makes you my son too. Since my sister's blood runs in you, then my blood runs in you too. There is no way you'll ask me for something and not get it. Except if it is something I can't afford. So, I have decided to let Shaba go with you. I know you will look after him for me. Please do not spare him when he goes astray. Discipline him as you would your own children. He is my last child and I never imagined him not growing in my house. But since you've asked. You can have him. Please take good care of him for me."

"Oh...Magode zam. You will not regret this uncle."

"Ok son. You're welcome".

My mother prepared me and when I was about to go, she gave me alewa and dakkuwa, she packaged them in to  two different packs. One for me and one for my cousin's children.

The few clothes I had were packed in a polythene bag. When I was set, Yahaya lifted me unto his bicycle and we took off. That was the day I was separated from my parents and siblings. The day that changed my life.

Life in my new home was not bad. After all I was an innocent child who could barely tell my left from my right. I lived with my cousin's children like a normal child. When I became of age, I was introduced into the world of farming. Farming as you already know, used to be the major occupation of the Gbagyi tribe before the white man invaded our world, making us to wash our hands and park our tools to serve book and pen. I learned how to prepare the soil when planting season was approaching. In those days, a wealthy man was known by the abundance of crops he had especially yam.

My cousin had large farm lands. So there was seldomly a day we didn't have work to do. I didn't complain because farm work was fun. I gave it my all. Though I was allowed to visit my father's house when I wished to, my loyalty lied with Yahaya my cousin. Years passed and I grew from childhood to teenage. As I grew, my responsibilities grew with me. From weeding and making fire to roast yams when we go to farm, I started learning to make ridges for cereal crops and mounds for yam.

Meanwhile, my cousin enrolled me in the village primary school along with his children. At that time, only few children went to school. The reason was because parents thought it was a waste of time. They preferred their children going to farm with them because according to them, they didn't give birth to them to be enslaved by the white man. Many people advised Yahaya to take me out of school. But he refused saying it was nobody's business. Besides there wasn't any consequential financial implication. I thought he was doing it out of love especially as not all of his children went to the school. By the time I neared adulthood, I had already known the different varieties of yam and the kinds of soil suitable for them. I learned how to control pest and how to treat plant diseases traditionally.  Also I was done with primary education and was now in 'Form 3' (JSS3). I was interested in school but I didn't let it affect my commitment to farming. I wanted to be like our teachers. To speak proper English. I yearned to be educated and I was determined. Not even the spirits of my ancestors could stop me.

My cousin called me and and his grown up sons after supper one faithful evening. "You are old enough to start farming independently. Hence am going to distribute farm lands to you all. Next season, you are to plant any crop of your choice." He said to us. He allocated farm lands to us that evening. The portion I got was rocky but I didn't mind. I thought of it as fate and started preparing for next season, hoping to put a smile on my cousin's face.

Glossary
Pi da – (Gbagyi) - My husband.
Mi ta min – (Gbagyi) - I can’t.
Toh mi ku wo – (Gbagyi) - Ok, I have heard.
Magode zam – (Gbagyi) - Thank you very much
Alewa – (Hausa) - local candy
Dakkuwa – (Hausa) - Local snack made from fried corn, groundnut and sugar.