1

5 months earlier

Emaleigh stood there next to her older brother, Oliver, watching as the doctors poked and prodded away at her deathly sick mother. Although Emaleigh wanted to yell at them to stop torturing her, she knew it was her only fighting chance, if there was a chance at all. She could see her teary eyed reflection in the window of her mother's hospital room. She bit on her nails anxiously waiting for the results while Oliver held her close to his side, wishing his little sister didn't have to experience this kind of pain.

Their father stood in the room with their mother. Tears filled his eyes as well, looking over, he met the teary eyes of his daughter, who was watching her mother die a slow and painful death; and the dull eyes of his son, trying to console his little sister, and he knew he had to be brave for her. After all, he was the oldest; he had to protect her from the harsh outside world that was going to break this sweet little girl.

But, after that day, she was broken. In a matter of seconds her heart was shattered and under lock and key. She has become reserved, quiet, and miserable as she had the world's biggest 'life isn't fair' moment happening right in front of her eyes.

Their father made his way over to the door, motioning for the two broken soldiers to come in and say their goodbyes. Emaleigh hastily made her way in the room and over to the woman she has known since birth. She finally reached the bed, looking down at the pale shell of a woman who was once known to her as Mama.

Oliver stood on the opposite side of the bed, he smoothed his mother's head, sniffling softly, somehow still keeping his composure. Their mother looked at Oliver first; she had a look of fear in her eyes. He swallowed the lump in his throat and simply nodded.

"Emma," her mother said weakly, causing Emaleigh to choke on her sobs. Her mother reached her pale, petite hand towards Emaleigh's face. She moved a loose strand of blond hair out of her face, taking in her daughters features as she did the same back.

"Remember something Em," She said, coughing violently. "Suicide is the cowards' way out." And with those words she slowly faded out of consciousness and into the other side. Emaleigh never cried more in her life, refusing to let go of her mother's hand. Leukemia had finally taken her mother away. She lost the battle. Emaleigh's father put his hand on her shoulder.

"Even the strongest soldiers lose the biggest wars." He said tears' streaking his face but, his voice was very monotone. Emaleigh wrapped her arms around her brother's torso as she cried. In her grief she still didn't understand why the last words from her mother were about suicide. Emaleigh was always a happy girl. She always tried to stay positive. What could she possibly mean by 'suicide is the cowards way out?'

Present day

Emaleigh looked up at the new house her father just purchased. She wasn't thrilled about moving; in fact she was livid when she found out. She was leaving her life behind. She was leaving her friends, her memories, and her mother's grave. Ever since her mother passed her relationship with her father crumbled before her eyes. She became distant and more secretive towards him, as if he were a ghost of his former self.

"Cozy looking, don't you think guys?" He asked, smiling proudly at his impulsive decision to uproot their entire lives.

"Yeah, a cozy place to die." Emaleigh said, glaring at her father. She felt so much anger and hatred towards her father. It's seemed to her as if he didn't care about her mother passing. He moved on rather quickly and seemed to be fine with the recent events that turned Emaleigh's world upside down. Their father turned his head towards his son who just shook his head in disbelief.