Prologue: A Boy's Heart

Before you read, I must advise you, this book is rated PG-13 for a reason. Viewer discretion is advised. Thank you...yeah. 

                       ~Rain~

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pain erupted from every nerve in his body, and he was preparing from more as he breathed deeply. It was a strange thing that happened. Not anything close to normal. But the strangest part is that he could barely remember what happened. One moment he was happily sleeping in a tent with his family as they camped, and the next he was here. Wherever here was. All he knew was that it was night. There was no moon, no stars, and only a small stream of light illuminated his face, but he could smell the thick forest around him and he could feel the dirt clotting on his knees while he waited.

The large, bulky man still held the blood coated whip, coiling and uncoiling it to the rhythm of his footsteps as he paced.

“What...do you...want...from me?” The child could barely choke out. The boy’s ratted, light brown hair fell in front of his clouded eyes as stared at the ground.

The man’s gut wrenching smile grew and his expression became sinister. “I’m so glad you asked, boy,” he began, voice smug as he eyed the bleeding kid. “Calor!” He snapped almost instantly. When there was no reply, he barked louder. “Calor!”It echoed. 

“Y-yes...Kony?” A weak, whimpering voice came from Kony’s right. The boy lifted an eyebrow. The words belonged to a man, about thirty or so, but the tone was of a child. 

The boy’s captor motioned for the one whom he called. When the man stepped out of the light, the boy could tell he had been with Kony a long time. His dark, African skin was bruised and red, blood crusting over old and fresh scars. 

Kony turned abruptly, now smiling at the child. “This is Calor. He is very special to me. Like a son.” 

The child intensely stared into Kony’s devilish eyes, refusing to break away no matter how much he shook. 

“What’s...the relation?” He barely managed to choke through the blood in his mouth. 

“This is the first child I abducted.” Kony explained expressionless. He walked over to Calor, placing a hand on his shoulder and Calor winced. “I practically raised him. I took him from his parents when he was only ten. I taught him Evil over Good. How to ignore pain, and how to cause it to others. He’s the very reason I am feared within the wilderness of Africa. He’s the very reason I’m the most wanted man in the world. He has helped me, and I love him for that.” 

Calor smiled sweetly and respectfully, but Kony just gave a devious grin. Kony walked behind a barely visible tree and pulled a glistening object from the bush. A knife. 

“Now,” Kony crouched down in front of the boy and held out the knife gently. “Kill him,” he said with muffled words. Kony must have seen the terror and confusion on the boy’s face, so he continued. “Calor has been with me for twenty-two years now. He has grown up, and I no longer need him. However, he knows too much. He knows where I am and where I live. I need him dead. I have a new child, who can help me understand this new generation. I need you.” 

Kony’s words were convincing and given in such an appealing way, that the boy nodded. 

“Splendid.” Kony stood up, a hand around the boy’s back. “Now make me proud, and earn my trust.” 

The six year old boy stood up and glanced up at Joseph Kony’s understanding eyes, then down at the knife in his hands. There was no way out. His brain was confused, and he didn’t have his father to help his figure things out.