Chapter 11

The next few weeks pass in a similar fashion. Percy picks Hazel and I up in the mornings and drives us home after school. At school, the shock of seeing us together has worn off and the other kids don't stare at us when we walk hand in hand down the hallway. Though Percy continues to slip me little notes when he sees Rachel watching us. I usually just stick them in my pocket, not bothering to read them.

My friends and Percy's friends have all kind of converged at lunch, commandeering the largest table in the cafeteria. Juniper is thrilled now that I've introduced her to Grover and Piper is happy to be sitting with Jason. Even Will has joined us because as it turns out, he's dating Nico. Nico also happens to be Percy's cousin. October passes quickly and without incident. Luke continues to not talk to me and I continue to try to push down the feelings that emerge whenever I see him. I've noticed though that I think about him less and less the more time goes on.

Percy helps with that when we are hanging out, whether it's just the two of us or with all our friends, I forget about Luke. Percy is actually really fun to hang out with and so are his friends. They've all kind of welcomed my friends and I in. His one friend, Leo, keeps trying to come up with nicknames for all of us. Piper has been dubbed 'beauty queen', Juniper is 'poison ivy', and Calypso is 'sunshine'. He's been unsuccessful at finding one for me however.

"I've got it!" Percy exclaims as we sit down for lunch the day before halloween.

"Oh no, an actual thought went through your head. Gather around guys, this only happens once in a blue moon." I say dramatically and I grab my bag of chips and act like it's popcorn. Percy rolls his eyes at me.

"Wise girl." He says proudly. We stare at him blankly before he elaborates.

"For Annabeth's nickname!" Percy explains. I snort as everyone nods, seeming to agree that it works.

"If I'm a wise girl, than you're a seaweed brain." I say, eating a chip. Percy looks offended and pretends to faint. He's such a drama queen.

"Stop being so dramatic, the school play doesn't need to recast the role of Lady Macbeth." I tell him.

"Damn, Chase! Give the man some freedom to express himself." Leo chimes in. I toss a chip at him and he manages to catch it his mouth, resulting in loud applause from the guys. Piper captures my attention about something that our English teacher said earlier and I don't notice that Percy is missing from the table until lunch is over.

"Hey, where did Percy go?" I ask no one in particular.

"Can't keep tabs on your boyfriend?" Rachel overhears and sneers at me as she and her posse pass. I let it go and just head to class.

****

"See you tomorrow!" I say to Percy as Hazel and I hop out of his truck. He waves and drives off. Hazel is already up on the porch and I'm about to follow her when someone calls out my name.

"Hey Annabeth!" I look around and see Luke waving me over from his front door. Deciding that it might be good to talk to him, I go across the grass and meet him under the large oak tree in his front yard.

"Hey." I greet him.

"Hey." Luke says, standing with his hands in his pockets. I guess things are still a little weird between us, for reasons I'm not sure I understand.

"I know I've kinda been avoiding you." Luke starts and it looks like this is going to be an awkward conversation.

"Hold on. Look, I'm really sorry about the whole letter thing. I was super embarrassed and that's why I've been avoiding you too. And then the whole Percy thing...." I say, hoping to get the worst over quickly.

"Yeah that's what I wanted to talk to you about. Percy...he doesn't seem right for you." Luke says.  I narrow my eyes at him.

"And since when was it your concern about who I date?" I question, daring him to come up with a good reason.

"Annabeth, we used to be best friends! I've always looked out for you and I just don't want you to get hurt. Percy isn't exactly your type and I know what Rachel is like." He says.

"Why is everyone so fucking surprised that Percy and I are together? Am I so repulsive that it just astounds people that Percy would go for a nerd who wears glasses?" I ask, starting to raise my voice. Who does Luke think he is?

"God, no! You're beautiful, Annabeth. I just don't think you understand what guys like Percy are like." Luke's voice gets quiet and he's looking at the ground. I cannot believe this is actually happening.

"You know what, Luke? You lost the right to tell me what to do when you picked my sister over me." I say, tears threatening to spill over now. I don't wait to hear his reply, just turning away and heading back to my house.