Chapter 2

I sat down at the Slytherin table, trying not to catch anyone's eyes. I barely concentrated on the sorting and didn't hear a word of Dumbledore's welcome. Only when the food appeared did I start to take any notice of what was going on around me. I ate quickly, shoving food into my mouth.

'Oi Scorp, what's wrong with you?' Draco frowned at me.

I scowled. For some strange reason, which was probably entirely related to what had just happened on the train, I was feeling slightly resentful towards my brother.

'Nothing,' I muttered, sighing as the food disappeared.

Dumbledore stood up again and began talking. I desperately tried to pay attention, I mean yeah I'm a Slytherin and we're meant to ignore people but this was Dumbledore man. Halfway through his speech though something unprecedented happened. Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Chief Mugwump of the Wizengamot, Order of Merlin First Class, Ten pin bowling fan, was interrupted. I stared at the offender, my mouth gaping.

The women who had begun to talk looked like a squat toad with bulging eyes and a stupid pink bow in her mousy hair. I mimed retching and expected Draco to smirk and join in. Therefore I was surprised when he gave me a condescending look and appeared to drink in everything Toad Woman was saying. Yes that is what I will call her from now on: Toad Woman.

I tried to listen to what she was saying but it was so dull and despite my nap on the train, the boredom combined with the soporific effects of the feast were making me extremely drowsy. I yawned and slowly my eyes flickered shut.

I awoke to find the entire school gazing at me. Some, like Draco, in disapproval, some in shock and some were clearly trying to hide laughter, snorting into their hands. A few specific Gryffindors were laughing openly. Red haired gits. Dumbledore was looking at me with an amused twinkle in his eyes and I went bright red. What on earth had I done in my sleep?

Dumbledore stood up smiling. Toad Woman sat down glaring at me.

'Well that was certainly an inspirational speech,' Dumbledore said softly. 'However now it is time for you all to go to bed and prepare yourself for a day of learning.' At this point he smiled benignly and looked at me. 'It appears some of us may need the rest more than others to avoid doing things we may regret later.' With this he gave another twinkling smile and a wink and gestured us all to leave.

I glanced at the staff table and looked at all the teachers. Mcgonagall was watching me with distaste, nothing new there then, Snape was smirking openly at me, Hagrid looked confused, Sprout looked like she was hiding a chuckle and Flitwick looked torn between merriment and disapproval. However it was only when I saw Dumbledore's gentle smile, revealing that I was not truly in trouble, did I give a sigh of relief. On my way out of the hall I caught a glimpse of Toad Woman. Loathing would not even cover the look she was giving me. If looks could kill I would be no more than a pool of  sizzling gloop on the floor.

By the time I reached my dorm, it transpired that while I was asleep I had said some rather unsavory things. These, um, utterances were rather along the lines of, 'Toad Woman!! Squash her with a fly swat!! She will teach us DADA and then we will eat her, haha'. They had been rather loud.

Oh well, I thought sullenly, my reputation may have been ruined before lessons had even started but my expectations have been set low. Things can only get better... Yeah. Right. Toad Woman was out to get me. Everyone seems to have classed her as an unknown quantity in terms of discipline but I know better, she is going to EAT US ALL...

I am now going to sleep. Before I do that I am putting a silencing charm on my bed. Goodnight.