Chapter Two

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Cori was sitting on her dad's front porch, sipping coffee, swinging slowly in the old porch swing, and watching the neighbors put up Halloween decorations. She grinned to herself, thinking that she needed to dig through the garage and find her dad's holiday stuff. She had just closed her eyes to doze off when she heard a vehicle pull into their driveway. She opened her eyes to see an old pickup truck park beside her Jeep and a very tall man step out. She couldn't help the wide grin or the giggle that broke out as she jumped up from her seat and ran down the porch steps and across the yard to jump into the man's arms.

"Opie!"

The big man laughed as he caught her and swung her around as if she weighed nothing before sitting her back on her feet and pulling her in for a tight hug. "Cori! Damn, it's good to see you!" He looked down at her and smiled. "I didn't believe Donna when she said she saw you yesterday. I had to come see for myself. You're lookin' good, sister."

Cori chuckled as she pulled him by the hand onto the porch and sat down. "Thanks, I'm doing pretty good. You want some coffee or something?"

Opie shook his head as he reached into his kutte and brought out a pack of cigarettes. He offered her one, then lit both before blowing smoke out. "Nah, I'm good. Just had breakfast with Donna and the kids. I was heading to the garage and thought I'd stop and see if you were really here."

Cori shook her head and grinned. "I can't believe Opie Winston is married with kids. Damn, man, you beat us all, didn't you?"

Opie just grinned and shrugged. "You know how it is. High school sweethearts. We're the fucking American Dream."

Cori laughed and nudged him with her elbow. "Stop it! How has life been? God, I haven't seen you in years."

He nodded. "Yeah, it's been a few minutes, huh?" He sighed. "Well, we had Kenny right after you left to go to college, then Ellie. I got sent to Chino for five years." Cori winced and he nodded. "Yeah, that wasn't great. Almost ended my marriage."

Cori looked at him with an understanding smile. "I'm so sorry to hear that... but you guys are good now, right?"

Opie nodded. "Yeah, we are. I tried going straight, working at the mill with her brother and dad for a while, but you know me. I just had to be on that bike. We were separated for a while, but she finally came around to see that the club is part of me."

Cori nodded as she took a sip of her coffee. "And your mom and dad? How are they? I miss Mary and Piney so much."

"They're good. Mary lives in Portland now, and pop... well, he spends most of his time at the cabin, like always."

Cori shook her head and laughed. "The cabin... man, we had some fun there, didn't we? Getting drunk on your dad's stash of Patron. He was more pissed about the alcohol than he was the fact that we all puked everywhere."

Opie laughed and nodded. "Yeah, that's true. You don't fuck around with pop's tequila."

Cori grinned. "How are Clay and Gemma? I've been meaning to go see them, but you know... is Tig still around?"

Opie nodded. "Yeah, they're all still here. Gemma would be happy to see you. You were always her favorite out of us kids." He looked at her as he offered her the cigarette pack again. "So what have you been up to since you left?"

Cori sighed as she lit another cigarette. "Well, I got my degree in Creative Writing, then thought that I would automatically write the Great American Novel." Opie chuckled and nodded. "It took a few more years, but I'm moderately successful as an author. I have a few books published. Now, I'm back to take care of dad."

Opie nodded. "We all heard about Harry. I'm sorry, Cori. If there's anything any of us can do to help, all you have to do is say it. You know that, right?" Cori waved him off, not wanting to get emotional. He winked and grinned. "So? No husband and ten kids for you?"

Cori laughed and shook her head. "Nah, that wasn't in the cards. I haven't even had a boyfriend in a long time. I'm more solitary these days."

Opie nodded and stared across the yard for a few minutes before speaking again. "You haven't asked."

Cori sighed and nodded. "Yeah, I know."

Opie gave an answering sigh. "He misses you."

Cori nodded, looking down at her hands in her lap. "I've missed him, too, Ope but... "

Opie reached over and covered both of her hands with his larger one. "I know."

"I've loved him since we were thirteen years old. I don't know if I can pretend to be the loyal best friend now. I can't sit back and watch him with other women, Opie, knowing that he only sees me as a pal. I know it's selfish, but... "

Opie shook his head. "Hey, no it isn't. I think he loves you too, but he was always afraid to take that step, you know? You're both older now, and there's a lot standing between the two of you, but you need to see him, Cori." He sighed before continuing. "He's vice president of the club and has a kid now. A boy named Abel. You remember Wendy Case?" When Cori nodded, he went on. "Well, they got married... we all tried to talk him out of it, but you know how Jax gets when he wants something. Anyway, they got married but couldn't make it work and divorced. She got hooked on crank, and he reconciled with her, trying to get her clean, but it didn't work. She ended up pregnant, and a few weeks ago, she overdosed and sent herself into early labor. Abel is doing good, had to have a couple of surgeries but he'll get better."

Cori shook her head as she tried to take in all that Opie had told her. As much as he'd shared, she still felt like there was something missing. "What aren't you saying, Ope?"

He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. "You remember Tara Knowles?" 

Cori shook her head. "Oh, no, Opie, tell me he didn't get back with her?"

Opie grinned and shook his head. "Not yet, but she's Abel's doctor and making it known that she's interested in getting back together with him." He looked at her and nodded. "He needs you, Cori."

Cori sighed and nodded. "I'll try to get by the clubhouse sometime."

Opie nodded and stood up. "Speaking of, I need to get to work. I'll let everyone know that you'll be by sometime today, ok?"

Cori snorted, making Opie chuckle. "That's not what I said."

Opie shrugged as he stepped off the porch. "I know, but sooner is better than later. You've come home, now it's time to deal with the family."