Chapter:6

All day long it's been killing me. If something did start between us this past summer, I don't think the school board could do anything since we had already started dating and I didn't know that he was going to be my teacher or coach. I honestly don't think that he has the same feelings for me.

I always avoid eye contact with him trying to suppress my feelings for him. The card said to arrive early to practice today. As I pulled into the fairgrounds, I could already spot Tex's truck a little ways off at the outdoor arena. I parked outside the area next to the outdoor arena and went to wait.

I could see him and Hank talking behind the chutes. They looked completely in deep conversation. I slowly walked that way. Tex spotted me before Hank did. I still couldn't make eye contact. Next thing I know, he's coming around over to me. I could tell something was bugging him. He stopped in front of me.

"Did you have a good birthday?" He asked. I nodded. He looked around then asked me to follow him. I followed him. He went behind the stock pens sitting down offering me to sit next to him. I sat down curious as to why he wanted to hide. "I should have done something this summer. I know I've been completely hard on you at practice since you got here." He paused. I couldn't tell what he was trying to say.

"To be honest I was waiting until you turned eighteen so I wouldn't get into trouble. I was going to ask you the first chance I got after you turned eighteen, that I didn't realize that you could move here and be on my rodeo team." He said. "Fate has a way of twisting things." I said. He scoffed. "I guess so. Well I want to give you this first, I didn't think it would have been appropriate to give it to you yesterday." He said reaching into his shirt pocket.

He pulled out a small box, like for a ring or necklace. Then held it out for me to take. I cautiously took the box from his hand. Then opened it. Inside was a necklace that I've been looking at since the beginning of the summer. I don't know how he knew it was the right one. We never talked or spoke at all until I officially came here.

"How?" I asked him

"How?" I asked him. "You shouldn't be on your phone behind the chutes. I saw you looking at it one day and after I saw how much it was, I waited until Calgary and went to a jewelry booth there that had plain horseshoe necklaces and showed the person there what I was looking for. He said he could etch it out right there and I watched as he did." He said.

I couldn't really hug him. Only when he moved his arm for me lean in closer, I hugged him. He hugged me back. "I know the school board will try to get me fired or sent to jail for this, but Ash..." I looked up at him. "Would you like to be my girlfriend? I know we never honestly talked, I just had this crazy feeling that I couldn't shake at all since you started riding pro three years ago." He said.

"Do you already know all of the rules and what's legal?" I asked. "That night after I found out that you were going to be at the school and with my rodeo team, I looked up everything I could about relationships like this. I want to make it work. I will try my best to stay within regulations and do whatever I can to keep you happy and safe." He said.

"I'll keep it a secret if you will." I said. "I can keep a secret to save your reputation." He said. I chuckled. He kissed my temple. "So would you like to?" He asked. I nodded. "I would like to." I told him. He kissed my forehead. "Would you like some help with the necklace sweetheart?" He asked. I nodded. He clasped it around my neck. Then stood up.

He held a hand out for me to take. "Think today, we're just going to work on what to do if something goes wrong in the chute. Especially with you." He said. I took his hand letting him pull me to my feet. "Go get your full gear on. We're not even working with riggings today." He said. I went to my vehicle as the rest of the guys showed up.

I put my chaps and vest on before going back. I sat up on the side of the chute waiting for them. As soon as all nine were there, Tex let them know what was going on. "We're going to be working with Ash today learning techniques to help get her out of the chute as fast as possible." Tex told them. Tex got ahold of my vest.

"One will be behind her with his hands grasping onto her vest right behind the shoulders. That way if the bull or bronc lurches forward you can haul her up by the vest getting her up and out of the animal's way." Tex said nearly lifting me up.

"Get into the chute for me. As far down as you can without touching dirt." He said. I nearly crouched down in the chute. "First on up, haul her out of the chute." Tex said. They didn't move until Kolby was the first to get into the chutes. He grabbed the back of my vest like Tex did. "That would be bull height. You three that do bulls, remember which bar to stand on while you are behind her and the bull. If it helps, one stand behind her every time while the other two stand on either side of her." Tex said.

"Try heaving her up to the bar right above where your feet are." He said. Kolby lifted me up. Right to the rail two above his own. "Nicely executed. Next." Tex said. I got back into position as Peter went.