Chapter 12 : The Silver Child

Calabasas, January 2018

"Ba...boom boom"

I stared at the child who was sitting on the deck floor right in front of me. He has a sprinkle of dark brown hair on his head. a toothy and gummy smile and a pair of striking green eyes. I know where those came from, seeing them clearly for the first time hit me right in the gut.

"Hello" I greeted him, but I was still too shocked to actually show some emotion.

"guh..guh" He mumbled in baby talk, then giggled striking his palms on the hardwood floor. Then to my surprise, pointed to the dog flap on the kitchen door.

Oh so that's where he came from. I realized his mother might have lost sight of him. Does she know the baby's gone missing?

I look into the kitchen window again but I couldn't see or hear Kristen.

This is crazy, I've been working myself up so much that I'm sweating again. The idea of meeting her was foremost in my mind, but the least I expected was a lost baby.

I looked down to Thomas who was looking at me expectantly and smiling. All I can think about is how I can kidnap the baby easily, and how his mom would freak out if she discovers her ex lover took him.

I crouched in front of him, he was crawling to the wall then slowly pushed himself up to stand. He slowly turned to me while garbling baby words.

"Where's your Mommy, Thomas?"

At the sound of 'Mommy' his eyes lit up and he clapped his little hands together. "Maaaah..mi" he followed.

I actually laughed surprised yet again. "Yes! Mommy! Where's Mommy?" I asked him, wondering if the little guy actually understood what I was asking. I reached out for the knob and tried it, but it was locked.

"Mohh...Mom" He continued clapping and giggling, and now was stomping his feet, but to my horror, he slowly pitched forward loosing his balance.

I reached out just in time and held him upright. Now, it was a genuine laugh that he was giving me. He slowly raised his chubby hands, indicating that I should lift him.

God, this kid was kidnappable.

Suddenly I heard a loud bang and subsequent footsteps inside the house.

"Thomas!! Thomas where are you?" And there it was. The voice I was dreading yet wanting to hear for a long time. 

"Mom Mi" Thomas struggled from my arms reaching for the door. I was already standing up.

"Mom! Mommy!" He actually shrieked loud enough. There was no mistaking that word now, the dogs started to bark and was scuffling to the kitchen door and emerged from the dog flap.

Cole! Among the two dogs it was Cole who actually got out first.  He was barking yes, but he wasn't attacking me. Clearly he knew who I was.

"Coco...Co!" He shouted reaching to the dog, forgetting his mom yet again.

"Thomas! Oh God not again!" I can see Kristen's shadow from the curtain hurrying towards the door.

My heart started thumping so loud. My ears were ringing. My salivary glands acted up and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack.

I clasped the baby to me unknowingly, like a security for the dreaded encounter.

Then the door opened.