9. Of Loneliness and Similarity

Stephanie pulled herself awake, but even cutting the dream short didn’t stop the echoes in her head, her father’s voice calling her. Even two years later, after not hearing from anyone in the pack, she still hoped that they were safe and that she’d find them some day. It was Alexei she worried for. The little girl was mixed up in something she shouldn’t have to lose sleep over. Regret stirred uncomfortably in Stephanie’s stomach; she should have taken care of Alexei. Liam shouldn’t have had to take her. However, that’s what the situation forced, and Stephanie could only hope that they had gotten away safe.

It had been a while since she’d relived that night.

Stephanie yawned and stretched before getting out of bed. It was then that she realized that it was already Thursday, and not much time was left. That was the story of her life; there was never any time left. Something had to come to an end soon, and Stephanie knew that she’d end up moving on. If, by some miracle, she didn’t have to go by Sunday, she’d have to leave sooner or later. Something would force her to leave, as always.

Her lips pressed into a firm line as she shouldered her bag, having gotten ready to get to school, and headed out the door to school once again.

Carefully, Stephanie left out of the side door, keeping her cover for Miranda, the lady at the front desk. Sooner or later, someone would let slip that she wasn’t nineteen, but that was a problem for later.

As Stephanie was walking past the gates of the many white picket fence houses in town, one swung open, allowing Aaron to step out onto the pavement beside her. Stephanie looked up, surprised. She hadn’t passed anyone on the way to school before, which was strange on its own. Maybe she was late today.

Thanks to Stephanie’s orders in previous conversational attempts on the part of Aaron, silence descended between the two. Despite having created the uncomfortable quiet, Stephanie found that she missed their conversation- or arguments, as it were.

“I am allowed to walk the same way to school, aren’t I?” He questioned, glancing over at her, slight amusement teasing at the edge of his words.

“Yeah, you are.” Stephanie smiled, helpless to stop the easy relaxation she felt around the bright boy.

A grin appeared on Aaron’s face, and he slipped his hands into his pockets. They fell into a more companionable silence. “I wish Caroline would give you a chance,” He thought aloud, after a moment. “I mean, it’s so weird, how she treats you, compared to everyone else.”

Stephanie shrugged. “I’m an outsider,” She replied easily; glad that she could voice her thoughts directly with him. “You guys all grew up together, right?” When Steph noticed his nod, she carried on, “Then she’s bound to act strangely around me. People like me aren’t that easy to trust straight away.”

Aaron looked ahead, his head tilting slightly, thinking. “I never thought of it like that.”

“It’s easy to forget, and I may not be right, but that’s how I see it.”

Barely seconds later, the school rose up ahead of the pair, the lawn filled with students already. Thankfully, the novelty of her presence had worn out, just a little, compared to how it had been on the first day. Now what had people talking was Stephanie walking to school with Aaron. With a tired smile, Stephanie stopped and turned toward him.

“That’s my cue to leave.” She announced, glad for the short time they’d been able to talk.

“Alright,” Aaron answered, returning her smile before he waved and headed off to find Caroline.