Chapter 2- Never Alone

The town centre was buzzing as always, it seemed that the military was in town today collecting supplies. The carriage ride was bumpy and made me feel slightly ill. I far preferred riding into the centre but the prince had forbidden me from riding due to the fact that it is not lady like.

The carriage soon came to a stop and the foot man was helping me out. It was the normal crowd, whenever anyone saw the royal carriage they would stop and see who came out, the town almost went silent as I stepped out onto the cobblestones. A few of the Soliders smiled at me as i looked in their direction, and a few towns people gave me a look of despise. Wolf held his hand out to escort me into the tailors; his seemed to be the only genuine smile in the crowd of people as olita was too afraid to even look up from the ground. I took his hand and followed him into the shop.

‘Lady Adelia, Welcome welcome welcome to my humble store, his highness informed me of your visit and requested I had all my avalible staff to assist you.’ The frail old man welcomes me into his store, I looked around and saw at least five other men and woman standing around a large array of fabrics in every shade of green.

‘Oh Mr Brooks, I am delighted to see you again, but really you did not have to go to this much trouble! I do not need to bother all of your staff I’m sure!’ I smiled at him as I shook his hand.

‘Nonsense, his highness demanded it, he just wants you to have the best you know.’ He chuckled and he walked me up to the mirrors. ‘Now, lets have a look at you. I believe we have new gown requirements?’ Wolf stepped forward and handed Mr brooks a piece of parchment. He placed his moon shaped specticals on the end of his nose and read the parchment carefully. I could tell by the expressions on his face as he read that the princes demands were getting increasing difficult. ‘Right,’ he sighed as he passed the parchment on to a man on his staff. ‘we shall draft a few designs, lets look at fabric first, the prince has requested no velvet and no light shades of green. ‘ He took out a piece of parchment and a stick of charcoal and began to sketch a gown. ‘Now according to the new requirements his majesty has requested, the skirt on the gown will be fitted to the shape of your body, so I will need to take measurements for that.’ He looked up at me through his glasses almost apologetically.

‘Whatever it is you need Mr Brooks, I am happy to provide.’ I smiled to him. He smiled softly back at me.

‘now the new desgn of the bodice is, well, a little more complex.’ He started, he continued to sketch. ‘His majesty would like the bodice to be more shapely, with what seems like a deep V shape in the front, I must say My Lady, I have never made anything like this before, of course I can do it, It is just a new concept I will need to grasp.’

‘You do what you can Mr. Brooks. while I was here I was wondering if I could get a few gowns for everyday wear?’ he smiled and nodded intently and walked over to a large wooden wardrobe.

‘I have just finished a few pieces that I think will please his majesty.’ He pulled out a beautiful green satin gown. In the wardrobe I saw gowns in all sorts of colours.

‘This is beautiful Mr. Brooks. I will take it. What about a gown in say a deep scarlet or blue or cream or yellow or even black?’ I think he could sense my excitement about the other colours. He picked out an assortment of gowns in all colours.

We spent the day at the tailors’, getting all the necessary measurements needed to create the gown the prince wanted me to wear. By the time we returned to the castle night had fallen. As I was not requested to dine with the prince, i ate in my room with Olita. I moved the food around my plate with my fork, a smiled plastered on my face. Olita ate quickly due to the fear the prince would walk in and see her dining with me.

‘I wish you would snap out of it and eat. You are wasting away as it is, i fear the prince will think i am not feeding you! What has gotten into you anyway?’ She asked as she finished the food on her plate. I smiled and let out a sigh.