Chapter 40: In the Dark

M A D D O X

My fault.

My fault.

Everything's my fault.

The words echo in my head, like the drip drip drip of a leaky faucet. Impossible to ignore. Impossible to turn off.

Why am I such a weakling? I've handled everything wrong. Everything. And now Ellie might be in danger—all because I lacked the intestinal fortitude to own up to my mistakes.

For some reason, I can hear Eleanor's tinkly laughter in my head, calling me the nickname she bestowed on me from childhood. Moxie. I finally get the joke. If there's anything in this world that I have less of, it's moxie.

I should have told Dr. Carlyle the truth—and I should have told Reese too. It was my fault Eleanor fell. I finally stood up to her, refused to play her games, and she came to The Overlook to confront me.

But no.

I didn't say any of that when I sat in Dr. C's office. I played dumb. I lied my ass off, too scared of the consequences if I told the truth. Now Reese blames Ellie, and she isn't playing games. If the look on her brother's face was any indication, Reese is out for blood... and Ellie has no idea of the approaching danger.

Another girl I've led to the brink of disaster, completely in the dark.

No.

No no no.

I can't let it end the same way twice. I have to find Ellie. Or Reese. Before they find each other.

"I'll help you search," I offered Emerson just now, bounding in his wake when he turned to leave my doorway. I'm not supposed to wander from my room, but that's the least of my transgressions at this point. Emerson took me up on my offer with a curt nod, and we set off down Winthrop's network of gravel paths in opposite directions, scouring campus for any trace of the girls.

So far, nothing.

I pick up my pace and don my own visor as I go, hoping it might alert to the presence of nearby users.

There are one or more InstaLove user(s) nearby. Interact to raise your score!

"Please be Ellie," I murmur under my breath. I turn the corner, and can't help but wince as the avatar appears.