Chapter 34

Corpses. Everywhere. Some of them mangled past recognition.

I pressed a hang to my mouth, unsure if I was fighting a scream or vomit.

The floor was sticky with blood, the stuff splattered over the walls. The....people had obviously been tortured to death, judging by their wounds. All of them wore headbands, though the symbols were unclear.

“Holy…That sick bastard…” Akina stepped up beside me. She walked forward into the room, bending to examine the nearest one’s face. Wiping the grime from the plate on his headband, she said, “It’s got the symbol of the Village Hidden in the Rocks. So does this one…and this one. They all do.”

“I… Why?” I asked, staring down at a young girl, I think.

“…I don’t know… Let’s have a look around,” she replied, rising and walking over to a table along one side of the room.

I nodded, carefully making my way to the other side, scanning through scrolls of all sorts. “These all have information on the Leaf…”

“That’s worrying…These all have information on the Sound,” she answered back, moving to a cabinet in the corner. “Ech… There’re tools in here… And scrolls… These all have information on the Sand…”

 “And these are on the Mist,” I responded, gesturing to the other table.

“Weird…and scary. I just found boxes with even more scrolls, on the Cloud and the Rock…” She turned to me. “Should we take the Leaf ones?”

“Or we could burn then or something. If we get caught, at least they won’t get the information back.”

“True. Alright. I’ve got an idea. Watch this.” Akina walked over and started making hand signs. Finishing, she touched each of the scrolls. They looked unchanged to me.

“What’d you do?” I asked, confused.

She smirked at me.

“Open one.”

I did as she said and gasped.

“You’re going to get us killed…” I groaned. The scroll now bore a picture of a face with its tongue sticking out and the word ‘loser’ emblazoned across the bottom.

“We’re probably dead anyway. Where’s the harm in a little fun? This way they won’t get suspicious immediately,” she answered.

I shook my head, “Okay, whatever. Let’s just- door!” I squealed, seeing a metal bolted door in the far corner, hidden in the shadows.

“A-ha. Let’s go,” Akina ordered, walking over to the door.

“Careful. We don’t know what could be behind that…” I trailed, following after her.

“I know. See how I didn’t just burst through it?” she said, giving me a pointed look as she started on the lock.

“I didn’t ‘burst’.  I leapt in…”

She chuckled quietly before turning serious as the lock clicked open.

“Come on.” She stepped forward carefully, pushing open the door.

A long, dark corridor revealed itself to us, the walls quickly fading into the gloom.

“Hm. Great… Now that we need the Captain, she’s not here,” Akina grumbled, staring at the darkness.

“Um… I hate small dark, dank places, so… Why don’t you go on, and I’ll stay here and… be lookout!” I offered quickly.

She gave me a look.