District 10- Louis Wilks

Louis (P.O.V)

Today had been a hard day on the ranch the sun had been hitting me in the face due to my favorite hat having a hole. My father Jacob and I have been moving the cattle to different pastures letting them rest and drink up we were bringing them home for the day. I take in the scenery around me the sun is shining over the big green hill the cows chewing on grass and mooing. I hear a scream in the distance and I run to the top of the hill I see my baby brother Matt being pulled out of the house by Peace Keepers.

"Hey" I yell at them and run over to my mother and brother my mother is on the floor crying saying "don't take him" the peace keepers look at me one speaks up "boy you must be on something if your this big" I frown yes I am ripped my muscles are impressive and my body is built.

"Why are you taking my brother" I ask with venom in my voice they flinch back and let him go "The president has ordered for us to take all kids from 12-18 for a game called the Hunger Games".

I was pissed just taking my brother from our house not even explaining why they were taking him. I hate the capitol and I'm not afraid to let it be known I silently follow the peace keepers it seems that all the kids from my district were here. Some were shaking others were crying well mostly the younger ones the older ones were just confused and looking at each other. They made us sign our names on a slip and put us into pens I went into the 18 year old pin while my brother Matt went into the 12 year old pin. I see our Governor he is such a skinny, old and weak man I remember when I was 5 I broke his leg.

Some one behind me pushes me and I turn around and it’s a skinny kid and he looks scared of me of course he would I am respected in this district no one messes with me. I give him a smile and he sighs and smiles back I turn around and face our Governor giving a boring speech that I couldn't bear to listen to so I zone out. A capitol women has walked onto the stage I think her name is Angel but nothing about her makes her look like a angel her hair is blood red she is really pale she is wearing way to much makeup on and she is wearing really long nails. She reaches her hand into a bowl thing that has Male written at the top and she pulls I slip of paper out. Matt Wilks get over here I stop moving I am frozen I snap out of it and turn to my brother his bright blue eyes are full of tears and a tear falls down his face. His skinny frame is shaking and he looks like he is about to fall over.

No I think not my brother I want to yell no but my mouth won’t move this can’t be happening. Everyone moves out of the way leaving Matt to stand alone 2 peace keeps grab him by the arms and he begins to scream a blood curdling scream and he starts to kick and fidget trying to get out of there grasp. Let go I want to yell leave him alone he is just a child he has never even seen some one dead and that’s how I would like it to stay.

He passes by me and screams my name Louis I can't stand this "I shall take his place" everyone looks at me "Can he do that" Angel asks. The governor shrugs "Then I guess its okay" Angel says and I give my brother a hug and I walk onto stage.

I look at Angel what’s your name she says and holds out the mic to me I say "Louis Wilks" and she smiles "so that is your brother" she says I snicker "I wonder how long it took you to figure that out".

She stands there looking at me with her mouth open I smile and shake the governors hand and he stares at me he must remember me which makes me smile I wait for them to say the girl. On stage I keep a calm and neutral face but on the inside I’m freaking out what have I gotten myself into I think.

Angel looks into the crowd "Elboney Nadine" I've heard that name before I look over into the 12 year old pin and I see a girl freeze must be her I think.

Poor twelve year old girl I hope that someone speaks up to take her place but sadly no does. An older boy ran onto stage screaming he was soon dragged away by peace keeper’s silly boy I think. Elboney also had to be walked up, her legs shook like mad, and she was crying I shook her hand and gave her a sad smile. The capitol sickens me taking kids that are just twelve is horrible and just plain evil if I saw the president I’d give him a piece of my mind but for now I’ll stay quiet.

"These are our District 10 tributes" Angel said.

Later peacekeepers took her back for some reason probably to check Elboney age. She came back her tears have dried and they take us to the justice building. I sit on a comfy cushion its pure white probably getting all dirty by my mud pants. I smile well the capitol needs to know that they shouldn't expect me to be all I love the capitol. I don't talk to the little girl who has long, unruly blonde hair, and innocent brown eyes, she is short and skinny.

I keep silent getting to know her would be a waste of time she probably be the first dead I look at her innocent brown eyes look at me. I look away lets see how long that innocence would last her family barges in the room. I've seen her eldest brother before working on the farms of others around us even worked for us a couple of times. Her younger brother hugged her and her older brother put a hand on her shoulder her father stands near by he clearly was crying. I stay quiet not wanting to ruin there last moment together.

Her older brother hands her a picture but I couldn't tell what it was then my family came in. My brother runs to me and hugs me tight not wanting to let go my entire family got me into a group hug. I can't cry now I say to myself I got myself into this situation now I have to find a away to get me out of it.

My mother looks at me "Your so stupid but I love you" she says my father touches my shoulder we never been a emotion type of men with the exception of Matt.

My brother starts to cry and I hug him "You'll come back right" Matt says I smile "Matt I'll always be with you in here" and I point to his heart the touches the place where I touched and closes his eyes.

I smile I know I shouldn’t be promising him anything but he's my brother and I will try my hardest to get back to them. I want to cry I can’t say that I’m not scared but who would be you’ll put into a arena filled with other kids that are out to kill you. Peace keepers come in and escort my parents out but before that my father hands me a gold compass that my grandfather used to have. I touch the watch and hold it this was the most precious thing we owned and now I have it. They take us to the train station and we wait for it people take mine and Elboney's pictures I keep a neutral face while Elboney just smiles getting over the games thing.

We step onto the train and the doors close Elboney turns to me "Mister did you know that you have huge muscles" I nod not looking at her.

She smiles "I like you because you don't talk too much" I can't help but crack a smile her presence seems to lighten up a room.

Angel walks in and directs us to separate rooms I'm left alone to get ready for Dinner but I'm not hungry and I walk towards to the window of the train looking out at the scenery. I take out my grandfather’s compass and I look out the window I will make it back home or I will die trying and I walk over to my bed and I fall into a sleep.