Sinners and Saints Chapter 44 - I Do It for You

Baron air-kisses my cheeks in greeting, “Anything I should know about?” he asks. 

Not really,” I tell him, “We’re up and running in this wing, but until Maurice gets the rest of the wiring hooked into the grid, there isn’t anything else we can do.  How’s Linda coming on her video-learning?” 

“Fine,” he tells me, “Finished up number eight by the time it was shift-change.” 

“Wow,” I chuckle, “She’s ahead.  Maurice was on four and Leslie hasn’t finished three yet.  Anything on the home-front I should be concerned about?” 

“You’ll want to pay attention to the news tomorrow,” he smirks, “But other than that, not really.” 

“Our guest is in the supply room,” I tell him, wondering what he’s hinting at, “Right now, just leave him there.  I’ll take care of him when the time comes.” 

“Of course,” he smiles, “I take it I’m hanging flat-screens today?” 

“Yup.  The schematic is on your tablet.  Just make sure you refresh it before you leave our area.  The wi-fi isn’t hooked up yet outside of us.” 

He nods and salutes. 

I roll my eyes and leave.

“Eat,” Moira plops down a loaded plate in front of me as I’m still yawning from my sleep. 

“Too much,” I push the plate away a bit. 

“Have you looked at yourself recently?” she chides, “Yes – you are an angel and no – you won’t die of malnutrition.  But you are losing weight rapidly.  I can see your collar bones already.  Pretend you’re carb-loading for a marathon and eat,” she crosses her arms and stares me down. 

“Oh, crap,” I stand up, “The mini-marathon.  I totally forgot.” 

“Registration closed yesterday,” Moira replies, “Really, Claire, you spread yourself too thin.  You’re just going to have to skip it this year.” 

“But,” 

“No buts,” she pushes me back in the chair, “Eat.” 

And thus my life falls into another routine.  A bizarre routine, but a routine none the less.  I don’t necessarily like it, but I get used to it.  At home, I sleep a lot, eat a lot more than I feel I need to and am pretty bored – all in all.  I run every day.  I’m back in my Pilates classes. 

I miss my work-work. 

And I miss Drake like crazy.  I try hard not to let it get to me.  I try to look at the plan and anticipate any bumps in the road as we progress further.  Things can change rapidly.  I’ve tried to plan for every scenario I could think of, but even I’m not perfect.  

By the time I remember Baron’s comment about watching the news, I have to go back to the NPR archives online and look things up. 

The audio has been pulled down by now, but I read the by-line: 

“And finally on Market Place Money Report, we have this story out of London.  Apparently, an auction at famed auction-house Christie's went badly yesterday.  For more information, we turn to BBC journalist, Leslie Clarke.  Leslie?”