Chapter 8

Jacob made sure the door behind him clicked loudly when he shut it. He didn't want to surprise the Fat Lady, even if she knew he was coming.

"Hello?" he called out.

"In here, Jacob, in here."

He walked down the narrow hallway, through the cluttered living room, and into a dark little kitchen. The Fat Lady filled the entire area, barely having enough room to move around.

She turned and grinned—her odd assortment of teeth shining at him. The top ones were nearly all gone; the bottoms were pearly white and straight. She fingered the piercing in one of her ear lobes—stretched out so far one of her pudgy fingers would have fit in the space—and Jacob tried not to cringe.

"Good to see you, good to see you," she said. "Give me a minute to finish." She turned to the sink, hand still on her ear lobe.

Jacob didn't want to know what she was doing. He stepped back into the living room, shoved papers off a section of the dusty orange couch, and sat down.

After a few moments, the Fat Lady shuffled through the room, beckoning him to follow. "Let's go get this shindig started."

***

It took several minutes for everyone to settle down enough for the meeting to begin. Jacob alternated clasping his hands, elbows resting on his knees, and jiggling his legs. His hands were sweaty and he was struggling to control his nerves. He couldn't wait to find out what the Makalos would say about getting Aloren.

The Fat Lady grinned at Matt when the introductions were made, and his jaw dropped—probably at the sight of her teeth.

Brojan started by giving general updates, then asking the Fat Lady about her potion.

"It's the same one Akeno and Aloren took on the way to Maivoryl. It's called Malono, and prevents people from experiencing the negative effects of the Lorkon magic."

"And you recommend that everyone who is going takes it before entering Maivoryl City?"

The Fat Lady nodded. "Definitely. We have no idea what would have happened to Akeno and Aloren if Malono hadn't been in their systems. That Lorkon air most definitely is polluted." She leaned forward. "I found an extra vial, enough for one person."

Jacob watched the adults conversing, feeling somewhat like a third wheel. "Okay, what's the plan, then? When can we go get Aloren?"

Brojan looked at Jacob. "As soon as everyone who's going has taken the Malono potion."

Jacob turned to the Fat Lady. "How long until more is ready?"

She shrugged. "I'd guess six to eight weeks."

Jacob stumbled to his feet. "Are you serious? No way am I waiting that long!"

Matt pulled his brother back into the chair. "Calm down, Jake."

"You have to wait," Brojan said. "There isn't anything else we can do."

His beard masked half of his face, but Jacob could see displeasure in the Makalo's expression. Why was he frustrated? He wasn't the one whose friend was stuck in some city in the middle of nowhere!

"Brojan is right," Ebony said, then motioned toward the Fat Lady. "Her potions are necessary. We can't help you without them."

"But she said there's an extra vial—Matt could take it. He and I could go together."