ONE

Sarah Vigo watched people walk by her office as she sat there holding the manila folder with the photograph of Catherine Stones’ body in one hand and a cup of tea in another, sipping silently in her solitary and thinking out loud about the case to Detective Diego, Klaus.

‘What do you reckon?’ being his second time asking, he took the folder from her hands and double checked the notes that included the perimeters of the yacht and the guests who have been invited to the sail.

‘She has bruises, which probably shows she was in an argument and was being stubborn about it,’ she took a long sip from her green tea, shuddering at the burning spark against the tip of her tongue, ‘The killer must’ve been threatening her, you know… holding her tight to stop her from shouting, but—,’

‘Jonathan hog is here.’ Special agent of the Serious Crime unit, Sierra, informs Vigo, body halfway into the room, a clean contrast between her chocolate skin and white shirt.

‘I’ll be right out and tell Anant to join me,’ with a sigh, she orders Sierra and receives an obeying nod before the door is shut and she’s up, setting down her cup of tea on the Mahogany and taking a long look at the frame fixed by her desktop. Her heart twisted. She shook off the thought and spoke, ‘you’ll have to dig up on Harry styles: try to find as much as you can, we need a clear screen through of his background before we drive over to his house,’ and that drive was going to be in two hours, but she wanted everything to be on time.

She runs her index finger through the centre of her head and parts it equally, for the slender strands of hair to settle down on her low shoulders and cover up the slight blemishes by her lower cheeks. It was one of those days she felt like going back home and sleeping off all the stress that was building up, not only from her job but her personal life as well. It kept on topping to the point she knew she’d hit her breaking point soon, but… she couldn’t because the last time she did—she shudders again.

Anant, man with an olive skin and very green eyes, appears by Vigo and gives her a brief explanation of who Jonathan is. When they walk into the investigation room, dark walls and cheap but decently working lights patched onto the ceiling, she pulls out the chair and feels the cold steel touch her skin. Anant preferred leaning on the wall.

‘Tell me everything you know and remember.’ She was straight to the point. She never asked aimless questions, no time for the Socratic Method.

‘There’s not much I know, apart from the fact I had wanted to have an interview with Mr. Styles and he had said his only available time was yesterday night.’ His thick brows scrunched together. Very defined jaw slitting through the light shining on them, he sat calmly on his seat; no foot tapping, no fingers drumming against the table, no twist of lips or dilation of pupils.

‘Tell me, Jonathan, what time did the dinner start and end yesterday?’

‘Uh… somewhere around ten? Eleven? And ended by like, one.’

‘It’s a big yacht, isn’t it?’

‘Very big one, but what do you expect? Harry Styles owns it.’ He gives a sly smirk, rubbing his chin as he looks at the corner.

‘Where were you by the times from one to five A.M.?’

‘In my cabin, obviously.’

‘Sleeping?’ Anant stepped in, taking a seat by Vigo.

‘Yes. I had woken up to strangled screams… but I thought it was just my imagination, so I went back to sleep then woke up after a few hours to see everyone with Harry gathered up at his room. She was dead.’ his voice strained, ‘lovely woman.’ He had further continued on how he picked up the phone and called the police, and was told the case would be directed towards the CBI.

‘Was there any reason you were put up to interview him?’

‘I was basing on how the rich live, and since Harry Styles is one of the richest men known around California, I thought I’d give it a try.’ Anant looked at Sarah, knowing that Mr. Styles would be their first subject.

‘Have you had any personal relationship with Mr. Styles and his wife?’

‘Not at all.’

Sarah could see he was saying the truth. She calls Sierra, ‘Dig up the file on Styles, we’re heading over to him.’