Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Jenna’s POV

I sighed as I changed into my white and blue gym uniform. I hated gym class, especially when I shared it with Lillian. The reason for that was simple, being human meant that I had less speed, strength and endurance than my sister, a fact she always made very clear.  That and I just hated running just because someone told me to. I had no problem running if I was being chased, not that I ever needed to do that but still, the fact that I was forced to run made it horrible.  And horrible was a perfect way to describe how the class went. The only upside was that it was so hot out that the guys were shirtless and let me tell you, some of them were yum, especially Jason. His abs were every bit as perfect as I had imagined them. ‘No, you won’t get carried away by him, he is an asshole’ I reminded myself.  I continued my light jog around the field and waited for the teacher to blow the whistle.  5 minutes later my wish came true and I quickly ran to the locker room to get changed.

I grabbed my towel and was about to take a shower when I noticed how dirty the shower stalls were.  They looked like they hadn’t been cleaned in months –YUCK!  I decided to skip the shower and simply wash off, no way was I going to risk getting a million infections just to shower.  I got dressed, fixed my makeup and was about to leave when I overheard someone talking.

“The pack party is tonight at 7:00. I heard it was to welcome the new wolves into the pack.” The girl was saying.

“I heard something different. I heard it was a celebration of the Alpha’s son’s birthday.”

“You mean Jason? He finally turned 18! Yay!”

“Why are you so excited that Jason turned 18?” The first voice asked.

“Because” The other one replied like it was completely obvious, “It means he can finally find his mate. And I don’t know about you, but I want to be his mate. I mean, have you seen him? He’s one hot piece of ass.”

Slightly bored with the conversation I decided to just head off to lunch. 

Lunch, the time most new students dreaded the most, was not that bad.  I got some pizza from the cafeteria and then went outside and silently ate my food while listening to some Nirvana on my ipod.  I saw Lillian sitting down in what seemed to be the popular table with some jocks and other popular people. ‘Typical” I thought rolling my eyes.  Lillian was always able to make friends quickly and was always very popular, then you had me, who didn’t seem to fit in anywhere.  Lillian saw me looking at her and shot me a warning look.  I knew what that look meant. She was warning me not to approach her, you see, since 6th grade Lillian and I had an unspoken rule where we would not associate with each other at all during school.

6th grade was the year that changed everything for me. The year that changed my relationship with my twin sister. The year that my parents stopped paying as much attention to me, whether they were conscious of it or not.  You see, all throughout Elementary school Lillian, or Lilly as I used to call her back then, and I were best friends. You would never see one without the other, we were inseparable.  But then middle school came along and with it was the change.  You see on our 12th birthday werewolves are supposed to shift for the first time.  That was proved true for Lillian, but not for me.  I never shifted.  And that is what drove the change. At the pack everyone, including my sister, started excluding me from activities.  My sister became part of the popular crowd, being invited to all the parties, everything being popular entails.  I on the other hand was left behind.  My best friends left me, I was suddenly the runt of our pack.

Now, my parents always used to pay the same amount of attention to Lillian and I, but that changed when I didn’t have my first shift.  They never consciously stopped paying attention to me I think, but as they had all the pack matters to share with Lillian and they couldn’t really share that with me since I hadn’t shifted it just happened.  As I grew older I changed my style and decorated my side of the room differently, as a way to get their attention.  It worked. They now paid more attention to me, even though I was considered the bad child.  But I didn’t care if I was considered the troubled one, I had a way to express myself and if that meant to be different than everyone else, then so be it.

My music apparently stopped me from hearing the end of lunch bell, because I was only brought out of my reverie when the guy in my math class, Jason I think his name was, tapped me on the shoulder and told me it was time for class.  I thanked him and pretended to be going to my next class, but instead I just went out the back entrance of the school.  I couldn’t be bothered to go to my other classes so instead I simply walked to a park nearby and sat there for a bit, slowly smoking my cigarette.

Once my cig was done I put it out and popped some bubblegum in my mouth.  My parents didn’t let me smoke, so I simply chewed some gum after I smoked in order to freshen my breath and they never noticed I smoked.  Now don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t the pack-a-day heavy smoker type. No, I only smoked every once in a while to calm my nerves and relax.  And heaven knows I needed to relax right now.  The whole moving to a new town thing was so stressing.  Once my phone said it was 3:00 I started heading home, that way I would get home at about the same time I would of if I actually stayed the whole day at school.  It was one of the things I had mastered in my years of skipping, how to get home at a time for your parents not to suspect of you skipping school.

I arrive home at 3:30. Perfect.  I silently close the front door when I hear my parents telling my sister something.  I stand right outside the kitchen, my ear pressed against the wall listening to what they were saying.

“The Tainted Tree pack, the governing pack in this area, have organized a welcome party for us tonight” My dad was saying.

“It is their way of welcoming us into the pack and to get to know us, so dress accordingly” My mother continued.

“Oh yeah I know. Amanda from school told me about it today. It starts at 8:00 doesn’t it?” My sister asked, picking her backpack off the floor.

I could tell they were almost finished with their conversation, so I tip toed upstairs to my room and pretended I hadn’t heard anything.  However, I knew one thing for sure. I was going to that party, even if it included crashing it.