Chapter 16 - Part 2

Kerri grinned when she saw how worried her mother was. Her mother rarely frowned since frowning would cause lines. "I'm all right," she said and stepped into her suite.

"I see Nick's words have more effect on your mood than the paint."

"You were watching the telecast," she said as she looked over at the large flatscreen TV showing the live telecast.

"Of course. Your father is in the middle of a shoot, so he couldn't come over." Her mother hooked her arm around hers. "I can't believe you remained at the awards in this dress. Do they have any idea why the guy splashed paint on you?"

Kerri shrugged and Dana shook her head.

"No news as yet," Dana said.

"Oh well," her mother glanced at her, "I think everyone took it very well. I'm sure you and Nick will be the talk of the town for a while. The crowd went crazy when he went forward to sing to you."

"Really?" Kerri hadn't noticed it.

Mia walked over and surveyed her hair. "What a shame. I really like this hairdo."

"Then just do the same."

Mia nodded.

"Go take a shower," her mother said as she ushered her into the separate bed and bathroom. "I'll order a hot lavender or chamomile tea to calm your nerves." Her mother moved behind her and unzipped her dress, then turned and slid the doors closed behind her. "Don't worry, Dana. I got you something to change into as well. Kerri still has clothes at my place, and you're almost the same size. Here."

Kerri dropped the hand she had pressed against her chest, and the dress fell to the floor. She stepped out of the dress, grabbed the slippers provided by the hotel, and sat on the bed. She kicked off her heels and put on the slippers, smiling as she thought about Nick's performance.

She couldn't be more pleased with the reaction he'd received.

She got up and stared at the dress on the floor. Could that be the result of the whole third party thing? She shrugged it off and went into the bathroom. A squarish white tub, large enough for a party of four or five, was pressed up against the long windows that overlooked the city. She put her hand into the tub, the warm water tempting her to have a soak.

She flicked the water off her hand and lifted one of the assorted bottles of bath salts set on a black tray. Tonight. She wouldn't be able to make herself leave the bathroom if she got in now.

She turned on the shower and let the water run while she removed her makeup.

She took a deep breath as steam filled the bathroom. Shower, get dressed, get makeup done, and return to the awards. When she stepped back out to the living area, she found Nick seated on the couch, chatting with her mom.

A bouquet of roses, a box of chocolates, and a cup of what she supposed was her favorite green tea latte stood on the white marble table with black steel legs.

Her mother refilled a white cup from the white and golden pot and took a sip of the tea. "I don't think you'll need this now," her mother said as she tipped the cup slightly toward her. "Dana, why don't you go and change as well?"

"I'm fine, really."

"You should change." Kerri grabbed the cup. "You shouldn't have to walk around with paint on your clothes either. If you want, you can take a shower. I don't mind." She turned to Nick after taking a sip of her green tea latte. "Thanks."

"I thought you'd like something to munch on while they redid your makeup and hair." Nick got up and took her hand. "Feeling better?"

She nodded.

"I'll wait for you, and we can head back together." Nick had just finished the sentence when the bell rang. "Room service." He went over and opened the door, and she could smell the food immediately.

"Are you afraid I've been starving her?" her mother asked as she lifted a silver cover from one of the plates.

"I wanted to eat, too." He put the chocolates into the minibar's fridge. "Smells good, right?" He looked over his shoulder at Kerri and winked. "Would you like some, Claudia?"

"Everything is back on track, so I think I'll get back to your father." Her mom placed her hands on her shoulders and gave her a light peck on the cheek. "I'll tell him he doesn't have to rush over." Then she looked at Nick. "Take care of her."

"Of course."

"And congratulations on your stunning performance," her mother said before letting the door swing closed.

While Vicky and Mia worked on her, Nick fed her with bite-size pieces of steak.

"I still need to put on a tight-fitting dress later."

He shrugged and brought another piece over. "You'll be fine."

After Vicky and Mia packed up and left, Dana helped her into another dress, a long gold gown with silver and gold sequins. This dress was her second choice. She had loved how it looked on her, but the mermaid cut made it impossible to hold up the dress while walking, and she was afraid she'd trip and fall.

"I'll get Eugene and Tyson. Call me when you're ready to leave," Dana said and left the room.

She stepped out of the bedroom, and Nick turned to look at her.

"This looks better than the one you had."

"Thank you," Kerri said.

"Where's Dana going?"

"To get security."

"Are you throwing me out?"

She laughed. "And why would I do that?"

Nick patted the couch.

She took a few careful steps toward him, and he was suddenly in front of her, holding her hand as he helped her over. "Thanks, I can't walk very well in this. I keep thinking I'll trip and fall."

"You can hold on to me," he said and paused for a moment. "I'm sorry. I think it must've been the whole scandal with Hannah. Maybe one of her fans was angry. He should've come after me and not you, though."

"It's okay, Nick. I wasn't hurt, and I get to wear two beautiful dresses—three, if you count the one for the after party."

Nick narrowed his eyes. "You hate sitting in a chair while people work on your hair and makeup, and you had to do that twice today."

"Can't you just go along with whatever I say?"

He grinned and shifted closer to her. "Thanks for being there during my performance. No one would've blamed you for leaving, and I would've understood." He lifted her hand to his lips.

"I told you I'd be there."

He leaned closer and brushed the back of his index finger against her lower lip. "So, the thing about us being together, what's your stand on that? Still unsure about us?"

"I haven't really had time to think. It's been a rather busy day."

His head bobbed up and down slowly.

"Why?"

"Because I think this is a perfect moment to kiss you, but I'm not sure if you'd appreciate that."

She grinned. "I don't know. I think you'll just have to try and see what happens."

His lips curled, and he closed the distance between them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!