Chapter Five: I never was a pageant girl, but there's always Miss Congeniality.

The Girl in the Boys' Dorms - Chapter Five: I never was a pageant girl, but there's always Miss Congeniality.

I muttered horrible things under my breath as I stomped into the bathroom, still dripping from the bout of water that had been thrown on me only minutes earlier. Chase, being the heartless jerk he was, had just guffawed madly, patted my shoulder, and then sauntered over to the TV. He was now lounging on the couch, watching a football game - I could still hear him cheering for his favorite team, even though I was busy scrubbing myself dry with a towel.

How dare he turn my prank around on me. Granted, it was probably some sick form of karma, and I deserved this treatment, but I still didn't want to stand for it. I hardly ever won or got lucky, and yet again, I had been beaten at my own game. Chase didn't look like the intelligent type from the face, but he was devious. What I didn't understand was, how did he even escape the trap without a single drop landing on him?

Stupid, evil idiot. My day had just been turning around for the better, after the great time I had with Evan, and he just had to go mess it up by dumping a bucket of water all over me, didn't he? I could still hear him yelling at the television as I yanked my pajamas on. I needed to talk to him, and sort out what happened between us. We had just started living with each other, and if we got off on the wrong foot this early on, then I'd need to enroll in a therapy class very soon - it would definitely drive me to lose my mind.

I grasped as much courage as I had inside of me as I left the bathroom, intent on smoothing out this fued. He probably wouldn't consent immediately, but I was sure I'd be able to bring him around. I didn't have many social skills, but I was decent when it came to convincing people - and maybe it was because once I began talking, I couldn't stop, but it was a talent nonetheless.

"Chase," I said softly, approaching the sofa nervously. "You know, I - I like football, too." I muttered, offering him a shaky smile.

"Really?" He raised an eyebrow, amused. "Because I'm watching basketball."

I felt a neon blush coat my cheeks as I swiveled my head to the TV, where, sure enough, a basketball game was going on. He laughed when he noticed my embarrassment, but readjusted himself on the couch so that there was a space beside his. He patted it kindly, returning my wavering grin with a handsome one of his own.

"Well, since you've mistaken the sport, you should come watch with me - maybe I'll even be able to explain the difference between the two." His emerald eyes twinkled as I shuffled over, daring to perch beside him.

This was the second time I had been seated on the same couch as a male tonight, and I had to admit, I was getting better at it. When I'd been with Evan, butterflies had been toiling in my stomach the entire time, but now that I was with Chase on a friendlier level, I was comfortable. I didn't even mind when his hand brushed against my arm as he reached for the remote, though it did cause a bizarre sort of electric shock on my skin.

It was nothing, most likely. I was probably just experiencing some weird spasm, or something. This was Chase, after all, the self-centered jerk, who had broken more than half of the hearts in the school. And him allowing me to sit through the last quarter of a basketball game with him didn't give me permission to become attached - and I didn't want to, anyway.

"By the way, I've been meaning to ask," he said, lowering the volume a few notches, "what made you trick me?"

"Hm, let me think," I tapped my chin sarcastically, mock-thoughtful. "I'm pretty sure it was the fact that you threw a humongous party last night, and then left the whole room in a mess. Then, I came back afterschool, to find a sleazy girl vomiting in the toilet, and had to clean the whole dorm up."