Chapter 25: End It

We run towards the Cornucopia. For once, I'm happy for the flat terrain; for how long we have to go, I'm not sure if we'd last if we had to jump over roots or dodge under trees.

You can also see the threats. There aren't too many lions; not yet, at least. We've only passed three so far, and we've been running for a good five minutes. Of those three, only one noticed us, but it decided not to follow us for long. I took it as a blessing, a sign of good luck. In this situation, I needed all the hope I could get.

The gamemakers must be taunting us. They want us to get to the other tributes, but they also want to remind us about what would happen to us if we stopped. I see the warning loud and clear.

Percy runs right next to me. I'm glad that my knives are light; his sword must be slowing him down. Thank God for his athleticism, or else I would've had to ditch him a while ago; if I could ever bring myself to do that.

After about ten minutes, we arrive at the Cornucopia, three lions on our tail. The Careers are all here, along with ten other lions, fighting for their lives. More are probably coming, attracted by the sounds of the fight, but I don't want to think about that. I have enough on my plate already.

There's too many to fight. Percy and I stop and look around, clutching our weapons, our adrenaline stopping us from feeling tired just yet. We still have a bit of time before the lions that were behind us get to us, and the Careers have theirs distracted. Though for how long, I don't know. I could only hope that it was for long enough.

"Annabeth," Percy says as he back up against me, making sure that nothing will sneak up on me. I appreciate the gesture. "What do we do?"

It's a good question; one I wished I had an answer too. My eyes dart around, trying to think of a plan, something. This is supposed to be my specialty, the one advantage I have; brains. It's what got me this far, and hopefully farther. So why can't I think of anything?

A scream pierces the air. Percy and I look just in time to see the girl from District One, Hazel, as a lion rips open her stomach. Blood pours out of her lips as she collapses. Four lions pounce on her corpse, ripping it apart and devouring her flesh as a cannon booms. 

That sight was far from reassuring. Fear coursed through my veins, and my knife almost slipped out of my fingers from how much I was sweating.

Think, Annabeth! I pleaded with myself. Think!

My eyes land on the Cornucopia, and I form the stupidest plan I've made all games. But it's the only one I have. We only have seconds before the five lions reach us.

"Percy!" I yell. "Climb the Cornucopia!"

His eyes dart towards our pursers, and he doesn't need to be told twice. We sprinted towards the Cornucopia. The metal is too slick to climb, so I have to use him as a support. Once I'm up, I grab his wrist and pull him next to me just as a lion's jaw snaps where his leg used to be.

I have no doubt that the lions are capable of getting up, but from here, Percy can stab them with his sword before they really have the chance. I stand beside him, ready to help if anything goes haywire.

Rachel and Frank follow our lead. I hear them hit the top before I see them, and whirl around to meet them. They're both covered in blood, and Rachel has a nasty scratch across her face; not that it seems to bother her. They both have swords.

The lions seem to calm down a bit, not jumping up but still clawing at the sides of the Cornucopia, letting the fight above them commence. Percy comes to my side.

"I'll take Frank," he whispers. "You take Rachel."

I nod, and all four of us charge at the same time.

Rachel looks like a madwoman, and fights like one too. She swings at me wildly, which I easily duck. My knife is in my hand, but she moves too quickly to let me get a good stab at her. Every few seconds, she screams, though I can't tell if it's one of anger or anguish. Maybe it's a mix of both.

Once, I don't get out of the way completely in time, and she nicks my side. I clutch the cut, and my hand comes away blood-soaked. I barely feel it, but the sight fills me with rage.

I dodge her next swing and jump at her, knocking her to the ground. Pinning her down with my legs, I punch her in the face repeatedly, ignoring the flaring pain in my side. My anger fizzles out soon, however, and I find myself staring at her bloodied face horrifyingly.

What had I just done?

"End me," Rachel wheezes. "Please."

I grant her wish, plunging my knife into her heart. She takes her last breath, and a cannon sounds. I quickly get off her, almost dropping my knife in the process.

Trying not to think about what had just happened, I whirl to look at Percy, seeing if he needs help. Both of the boys are covered in cuts, blood coursing down their bodies. I'm just in time to see Frank lose his footing, something Percy takes advantage of with a quick push to the chest. Frank topples over the side, and Percy looks away in shame.

Frank's screams are heard for a few seconds before he goes quiet, replaced with a cannon. At least it was quick.

Both of us shaking, Percy and I look at each other. 

It's just the two of us now. And the lions are getting angrier.