Chapter 1

Mercy

I knew something was wrong. I told Jerry, but he told me I was being a drama queen. I saw everyone's faces. I heard their shaky voices as if they were trying not to cry. From my bedroom I heard Mommy's horrifying scream. When I heard her scream, I got a bad feeling. A really bad feeling. I had to find out what was going on. I decided to see if I could find something online. That was a huge mistake because the moment I opened the browser there were Olivia's & Daddy's pictures. My body froze & tears came to my eyes as I read the headline. 'Former Miss Universe & Entertainment icon Nick Jonas killed in tragic airplane explosion.'

"Jerry!" I called out to my brother since I knew he was in his room. He came running since he probably heard the alarm in my voice.

"Mercy! What's wrong? Why are you crying?" He asked coming to stand beside me. I couldn't speak. I pointed to the computer screen & he read what I just read. I watched his chin quiver like all the Jonas boys in our family. He looked at me with horror in his eyes & he hugged me, immediately. We both sobbed for a few minutes. "This has to be wrong. A mistake. Let's go find Mommy."

Jerry took my hand & I followed him downstairs. Grandma & our aunts & Jenn were all crying in the kitchen as we snuck past them to the backyard. Mommy was in Uncle Joe's arms with Marissa & Blanda hugging them both & they were all crying.

"It's true, Jerry." I started crying as I stopped walking. Jerry turned around & hugged me again. We stood there hugging as Uncle Joe practically carried Mommy to the back porch & she fell into a chair. Mommy's tear stained face looked up & saw us.

"We know about Daddy." Jerry said in a small voice.

Mommy's face fell & she started bawling again. She opened her arms & we both went into them, so she could hold us like she never wanted to let us go. The three of us cried & cried for a long time. Marissa went in the house to help with Reid & Avery. No one wanted to tell them yet. Blanda stayed in the chair next to Mommy, rubbing her back with one hand & rubbing Uncle Joe's leg with the other. Uncle Joe was crying hard with his head in his hand. I felt bad for him, but I felt more bad for us & Mommy. We lost Daddy & I didn't know what would happen to us now. My heart hurt so bad as I thought about how I would never feel his hugs again or his kisses or hear him call me his baby girl. I'd never hear him tell me he loved me or see him smile at Mommy like she was the most important person in the world to him.

Blanda took me & Jerry inside at some point & Jerry stayed with me on my bed, holding me while we cried together. I wanted this to be a dream. I wanted to wake up & Daddy be here. I didn't want Daddy to be dead. Who would walk me down the aisle when I got married? Who would help me find a cure for Diabetes? I didn't want to think about all the other things Daddy would miss out on. I just wanted to cry. I couldn't stop crying, actually. I was glad I had Jerry right now.

Demi

The kids knew & I was dying a little bit each second that passed. Nick was gone. This had to be a dream. A nightmare. I looked at Joe who was sobbing along with me. "He's never gonna see the girls grow up. They aren't even gonna know him or who he was." I whined.

Blanda cleared her throat. "Demi, he has so many friends & family who are going to tell them all about their amazing father."

I nodded, wiping at my tears, even though it didn't matter because the tears were coming way too fast. I looked up at Joe, then at Blanda. Blanda stood up & rubbed my arm. "I'm going to go make sure the kids are okay & make sure they eat & Mercy checks her sugar."

"Thank you." I said in a quiet voice.

Joe moved so he was sitting next to me & put his arm around me. "I'm going to be here for you, Demi. I will do whatever I need to do to help you with the kids. I promise I will take care of whatever Nick would have taken care of."