Chapter 24 - Paul's 2nd Unova Gym Battle

A day or two after defeating the Aspertia City Gym Leader, Cheren, Paul had arrived in Virbank City to challenge the gym leader, Roxie, who specializes in Poison Type Pokemon. Since it was late afternoon when Paul had came to Virbank City, he decided to wait until tomorrow morning as well as giving his Pokemon a rest at the Pokemon Centre.

The next morning after staying overnight at a Pokemon Centre cabin, Paul had collected his Pokemon, ate breakfast and made his way to the Virbank Gym, where he was greeted by a loud cheering from a rock band and who played a song on the side of the battlefield, as well as having a large audience.

"Greetings challenger," a white haired figure wearing a purple and blue striped shirt and a small skirt said while approaching Paul from the further end of the battlefield. "My name is Roxie, the gym leader of Virbank City. What is your name?" Roxie asked.

Paul, who was completely shook by the unusual atmosphere of the gym, answered, "My name is Paul, and I'm from Veilstone City in Sinnoh." "Sinnoh, huh? Interesting. You seem to be caught out by surprise from my rock band," Roxie said laughing. "Are you here for a gym battle?" she asked.

"Yes, and I would like to battle now," Paul answered. "Great. So here are the rules: You can use 6 Pokemon while I use 3," Roxie said, completely surprising Paul. "Me use 6 while you use only 3!?" Paul asked in shock. "Doesn't that put you at a complete disadvantage?"

"Don't underestimate her that easily," Nicky, the bald drummer of Roxie's rock band advised Paul. "That's right," Billy Jo, a purple haired guitarist. "She has defeated many challengers under the same condition that she gave you during their gym battles."

"So Paul, do you agree with the conditions that we set for this gym battle?" Roxie asked. "Well, this is the first time I've heard any gym leader give conditions that puts challengers at a complete head start advantage, so I might as well accept the conditions. But I'm strong as well, and I won't lose that easily either. I'll prove it to you in this battle," Paul said in determination.

"I'm impressed by your headstrong determination, but let's see if your words become reality in this battle," commented Roxie as she made her way to the further end of the battlefield while Paul walked to the closer end of the battlefield.

"This will be an official gym battle between the gym leader Roxie and the challenger Paul, where the gym leader is only allowed to use 3 Pokemon when the challenger is allowed to use 6 Pokemon. The battle will be over when all of either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Are both trainers ready?" asked the referee, earning nods in reply.

"Alright, battle begin!" declared the referee. "Koffing, let's rock," Roxie said as the Sludge Pokemon appeared out of its Pokeball and floated on the battlefield. "A Koffing? Alright, Froslass, standby for battle!" Paul said as he took out the Snow Land Pokemon out of its Pokeball.

"Paul, you may go first," offered Roxie. "Gladly," Paul said. "Froslass, begin with Hail," Paul ordered as the Snow Land Pokemon stirred up a large array of clouds that began to hail, causing slow gradual damage every so often on Koffing from pelted hail.

"Koffing, use Gyro Ball," Roxie commanded as the Sludge Pokemon began to spin towards Froslass. However, despite using Gyro Ball, Froslass had managed to dodge the attack easily and constantly appear and disappear whenever desired. "But how?" Roxie asked shocked.

"That's Froslass's ability, Snow Cloak. When it hails, all Pokemon with this ability has an extra 20% chance of efficiently evading all attacks," Paul said while giving a little smirk. "Now use Ice Beam back to back," the purple haired trainer said as Froslass appeared out of many locations around the fazed Koffing and firing multiple Ice Beams then disappearing instantly, inflicting a lot of damage on the Sludge Pokemon.