Dr. Earl Kenneth Wade, Ph.D.

Born 13 July 1914 Toledo, Lucas County, Ohio

Died 1 November 1997 Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin

Dr. Earl Kenneth Wade, Ph.D. aka Earl K. Wade aka Earl Wade, University of Wisconsin at Madison, humanitarian, relentless researcher, brilliant organic and inorganic chemist, patriot and pater familiās of a large (nominally) Methodist family was a distinguished professor emeritus in plant pathology.

His father: Arthur G. Wade (21 January 1908 - 1 February 1954) 823 Chandler Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53715

His mother: Ida Wade (30 April 1896 – 21 July 1972) 823 Chandler Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53715

WW2 career: Enlisted 19 June 1942 from Wood County, Wisconsin. Because he was a college grad, he made Warrant Officer S.N. 36246663 Pvt 8, Bi 00 USAAC and did his basic at Shaw Field Army (U.S. Army Air Corps Southeast Air Corps Training Center) now Shaw AFB 411 Polifka Drive, Shaw AFB, South Carolina 29152.

After the War, He replaced Richard E. Vaughan (?-?) and John H. Brann (?-?) at Madison and published:

Need Good Disease Control Program for Quality Potato Production (American Potato Yearbook 1964)

Fungicides Bactericides and Nematocides (North Central Regional Extension Publication No. 17 June 1964) coauthored with Herbert G. Johnson and 17 other experts

Strawberries for the Home Garden by George Carl Klingbeil (7 May 1918 – 14 December 2011) assisted by Charles F. Koval (10 May 1938 – 3 August 2009) and Earl K. Wade (Revised [Madison, Wisconsin] : University of Wisconsin--Extension, 1968)

Peas: Insect and Disease Control (University of Wisconsin Department of Agricultural Journalism Cooperative Extension Programs) 1975 or 1976 ASIN: B0006WADOU

His wife: Iris Stokes Wade aka Iris Wade (Fountain inn, Greenville Couty/Laurens County, South Carolina 10 November 1915 – Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin 19 November 2008)

Iris Stokes Wade, age 93, died peacefully in the presence of family members on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at the Oakwood Village Retirement Community, Madison, Wisconsin 53705m (NOW Oakwood Lutheran Senior Ministries) where she occupied 6165 Mineral Point Road, # 47, Madison, Wisconsin 53705-4457.

She was retired for some years after serving as the librarian at Crestwood Elementary School 5930 Old Sauk Road, Madison, Wisconsin 53705.

Iris was born on 10 November 1915 in Fountain Inn, South Carolina. She graduated from Winthrop College 701 Oakland Ave, Rock Hill, South Carolina 29733 with a Bachelor of Arts in English in 1936 and also attended the University of Wisconsin where she took additional graduate coursework to obtain a certification in Library Science. Iris taught French, English and Latin for over ten years in several communities in South Carolina. While teaching in Columbia, South Carolina, she met her future husband Earl Wade, who was stationed with the Army Air Corps at nearby Shaw Field. They were married in 1947 and moved to Antigo, Wisconsin where their first son Randall Wade was born.

They then moved to the Madison area where Earl pursued graduate studies at the University of Wisconsin Department of Plant Pathology. In ensuing years, while Earl pursued his new position at the University of Wisconsin, Iris was fully occupied raising her young family of three boys that now included Byron Millard Wade and Kenneth S. Wade. Once the three children had completed elementary school, Iris resumed her teaching career at Crestwood Elementary School, where she served as school librarian for over 15 years.

The value that Iris placed on education was an important thread throughout her life and in the upbringing of her three children. Iris was an avid reader and instilled that love of reading in her children and the children she worked with at Crestwood School. She participated in several book clubs, both when teaching and after her retirement. Her children and grand children have treasured the guidance she provided and the example she set. They have all earned advanced college degrees and have pursued challenging professions and accomplishments.